Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are ZB 2 litre Petrol Turbo's reliable ??? Any common problems to look out for ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

Pretty much sums up the ZB in a comedic way I guess
That sums up what I was saying. People compared it to the real Aussie built commodores that came before it. It wasn't Aussie made, proper rear wheel drive or V8. It also looks more like a ladies car. But if you call it a Camry and compared it to previous camrys people would have said it was good. Did they seriously expect Aussie V8 fans to walk in and buy a German built turbo 2.0? That was nonsense.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
In reverse. I was a union organiser in Hamilton for 1985-1990. In 1986 the 1.8 litre Toyota I was given was traded in on a Toyota 2.0 Corona Amon. It was a beautiful little car that handled like a dream. In those days radar detectors were legal and I took full advantage of that. Hamilton to Gisborne in 3 hours 20 minutes. I would own one or something similar any time.

I do remember the v8 til 98 slogan that was organised thanks to Street Machine magazine. As for the v8's demise being inevitable I am not so sure. I still think there is a place for a v8 in Australia anyway.

There was no Commodore ute in 79, not sure if the HZ was stiil going then. The WB went from 1980-1984. No Commodore ute until 1990. Certainly was a big mistake not to have one.

i was unaware that the ZB was planned back in 2012. I imagine it was of the GM influence to have a global car. It's a pity GM didn't make a better job of promoting the Commodore world wide especially in the US. That could have saved the Australian car industry, Holden anyway.
I remember the Corona Amon, they were a good car and handled well due to the local suspension tuning. I'm not sure the current day Camry is in the same league.

I agree I think there is a place for the V8 but if you look at the home of GM, the US, sadly there are very few, if any, family cars with a V8 any more. I don't count the likes of the Chev Camaro, or Dodge Viper as a family car. Using that background the days of a V8 in family car like the Commodore were definitely numbered.

For sure GM didn't promote the Commodore overseas very well. A lot of guys on the Buick forum lament the fact that they couldn't buy the Commodore or a rebadged Commodore in the US, with the limited exception of the likes of the Pontiac G8. I expect that sentiment is just as wide spread in the US outside of the realms of the Buick forum. The Ute would have gone down well too. GM botched more than a few good opportunities.

PalmyZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sportwagon
Honestly folks, reading this thread I would say many people judge a car purely on its name, rather than how it goes, value for money, fitness for purpose, reliability, etc. I have owned or had many cars with different badges over the years, including a Vauxhall, Wolseley, Ford, several Mitsubishi, numerous Toyotas and 8 Holdens. I can assure you that the name on the badge does not affect the vehicle characteristics.

I currently have a 2018 build ZB LT turbo petrol 4 that I have had since new. I wasn't actually in the market for one but was offered a deal I couldn't refuse. There are 75.000km on the clock. 100% reliable, and I do use it for towing. There are no rear diff issues to worry about, and the car does exactly what it says on the box. Service is no problem and parts seem readily available new and used. The car has only just gone out of production in Europe, and the manufacturer is now part of Stellantis. While Holden is dead and gone, Stellantis is not. As far as I am aware the engine is still being manufactured in the US. The turbo is a Mitsubishi unit - a standard product line I imagine. The gearbox is a standard GM unit, still in production as far as I am aware. Here in NZ, virtually all new car parts come from overseas, so the ZB does not differ from your average BMW, Audi, Kia, Nissan, Toyota or Ford as far as parts sourcing. I am planning to keep this car for quite some time as I like it.

Yes, some folks have issues with theirs, as happens with every make and model of car. It is always a lottery, no matter what. Sure, there are better cars than the ZB out there, and just as many that are not as good. But, as a value proposition, the ZB turbo 4 is not a bad bet.

So, I would suggest do your homework on the history of the car you are looking at and buy it if you like it. Ignore those who judge a vehicle only by its badge.

Fremont

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 Commodore ZB (Buick TourX)
I’ve got a 2018 Buick TourX (yeah, I’m in the US). 2.0T petrol, AWD, 8 speed automatic.
The 2.0T has a great reputation here. Very reliable and can get good power with a minor tune (Trifecta chip). Transmission is good. Buick puts the 9 speed in the 3.6L coupe, and it’s solid.
Problem areas here are lower control arms in the 2018 (warranty repair) and the rear differential. (Mine failed under warranty!)