Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I've never used one but have been told they're handy for doing distance work like mobile radar (that's the one that tells us how fast you're going while driving towards you, tricky stuff :yeah: ) and static laser.

The laser can shoot you from about a kilometer away and snap a speed, providing the operator has steady hands. I don't know the exact distance of the radar (moving mode) as I haven't done the course for that one but it wouldn't be too much off. Each time I've seen it used, it pretty much picks up the approaching car as soon as it comes into view.

From these sort of distances, if a person even saw one of these semi-marked cars it would just appear to be a plain car sitting on the side of the road, or in the case of the moving mode, it would be just another car coming towards them.

On the other side you've got the advantage of having the side markings so if you need to shut down a lane or a road you've got the high vis reflective markings on the side.

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
the furthest i've trapped a speed on the laser is 954 metres on a straight stretch of highway (sth west WA) without a tri-pod, albeit a truck. the beaut thing about lasers is that there is no interference at all.

The beam on mobile radars, without giving too much away, will travel away from it's source until an object either reflects or causes interference. i've seen them pick up a moving target over a kilometre away.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
the furthest i've trapped a speed on the laser is 954 metres on a straight stretch of highway (sth west WA) without a tri-pod, albeit a truck.

Good shot. Depending on what sort of truck you may or may not have a lot of sweep and slide off the front. That could make it harder or easier.

At long distances I always try to treat it like sniping - steady breath out as I click the trigger in and wait for that solid tone. Sorry, I just love it too much.

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
Good shot. Depending on what sort of truck you may or may not have a lot of sweep and slide off the front. That could make it harder or easier.

At long distances I always try to treat it like sniping - steady breath out as I click the trigger in and wait for that solid tone. Sorry, I just love it too much.

yeah, sniping's good, all cammo'ed up in the bushes by the road and spring out at the last second to nab em'...cool

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
yeah, sniping's good, all cammo'ed up in the bushes by the road and spring out at the last second to nab em'...cool

LOL, you shifty buggers! :yeah:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Want to trade off against sniper weapons? Your sniping weapon(being your lasery pointy toys) vs My sniper weapon being a PH M82...any offers let me know. :rofl:

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
is it harder to clock bikes at long distance? it must be

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
is it harder to clock bikes at long distance? it must be

yep, less surface area to detect, but is done fairly quickly though, just need a steady hand, breath correctly, nice trigger squeeze and booooommm, you're gone...

is that how it goes minux....

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
Want to trade off against sniper weapons? Your sniping weapon(being your lasery pointy toys) vs My sniper weapon being a PH M82...any offers let me know. :rofl:

your nasty minux...not a fair test against a light fifty...you running with the old model or latest version m82a1m....

i'll have to hide behind 3 foot thick concrete wall instead of a tree...

them nasty 50 cal...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
your nasty minux...not a fair test against a light fifty...you running with the old model or latest version m82a1m....

i'll have to hide behind 3 foot thick concrete wall instead of a tree...

them nasty 50 cal...

Ahh your speaking of the Barrett, great rifle. I only have the Parker Hale ex Australian Issue M82 rifle. Still a great rifle, although, if i could get my hands on one I would take my old friend the SR-98 without a thought. Would also take a version of the Canadian M82C3A1 :p

Getting harder to keep zeroed now these days, seems people have an issue with using kangaroos as a zero target :(