Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I don't know too much about anti-speed detection devices as I've never had dealings with them. I doubt they would really be of much use these days except for avoiding mobile speed cameras.

Hand held radars are hardly used anymore and have been replaced by lidar (laser). The laser doesn't actually emit anything until the trigger is pulled in which time it takes a couple of seconds to ping a vehicles speed.

As I said, I've never had contact with these detectors as they were outlawed a long long long time ago (when I was a kid actually) and I've never used them. I do however see them advertised on E-Bay and well aware that they are around.

Could someone enlighten me please?

the_cookster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
they work by picking up on singnals the bounce around from the radar gun and can pick them up from a few hundred meters away, a mate in tas had one, and they worked realy well, but the down side of them is that they also pick up the signal from automatic doors on buildings.

not sure how they would go with the laser gun that you mentioned viccop, becouse as you said they are only active for a few secounds and they need to pick up the singal as it bounces around, i have a friend in the airforce who is a communications engineer, and he works with a lot of radars and studyed it a uni so ill see what he knows or says about them

gruntavt

HSV-I Don't want one ;-)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vess-luckily
Basically what the_cookster said, If u get a laser hit your gone! viccop, the spectre 4 is the latest RDD and works very well,against all but 1 RD. I've had some good hits with te cheaper RD's.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Zuicider said:
neg i hardly speed i dont even like driving anymore but it picks up more than just speed cameras and cops

They certainly do!

It always funny though when a black-hawk starts hovering above you and it automatically targets you thinking you are targeting them!!!

Same with our laser systems, have to be a little cautious about using them near a raaf base...

They also pick up mobile phone towers, radio towers, each other.......
And so on, and so on.

:yeah:

As long as it makes you travel at or below the required speed then its all good!

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
For everyone's info (at least those in Victoria) *nudge nudge toward other thread*

64A Driving a motor vehicle when directed to stop by police

(1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle if—

(a) he or she knows that he or she has been given a direction to stop; or
(b) he or she ought reasonably to know that he or she has been given a direction to stop.

Penalty: For a first offence, 60 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months or both;
For a subsequent offence, 120 penalty units or imprisonment for 12 months or both.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Just a quick question on the stopping of your vehicle when on a road that has service roads...

Do most police prefer you to slow down and wait for the nearest service road entrance or pull up immediately even though you may be right on the main road ?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Last time I got randomly pulled over, I could only have stopped in the left lane, so I just chucked on my hazards, gave a quick wave out the window, slowed down heaps and turned left into the next road.

Cop's didn't seem to mind at all. After all, I was on my way after a quick licence and breath test.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Yeh, I get pulled over on the same piece of road every so often coming home from work early on Saturday morning for a routine check and they usually put the lights on just after you've passed one service road entrance and the other one is about 500 metres or so down the road so I slow down and indicate left then pull into the service road and stop

Most are fine with it but I do get the odd one that's a little narky I didn't immediately pull over