Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

statomatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
:)
Hi dr bob

got a h286 cam need to set the timing, its at 16btdc, powers not kicking in like it used to, had it at 10 still a bit girly. what do ya recon

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Thanks Doc. Only thing is though, as I said it drives cool - and if I switch the AC on as I'm slowing down, and stop, it stays cool. If the AC isn't on it gets hot after I stop.... if i switch the AC on (fan comes on straight away) it pretty much instantly gets cooler again.

That's all that makes me think it's just cutting in too late, as when its forced on by the AC the temp gauge stays at about half.

That beign said it was hot today and went for a 20km drive in often stop start lights and it was still under half way and getting warmer still???? Shouldn't take that long should it????

replace the thermostat

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Dr Bob,

I have upgraded my last two cars, a VSII and a VYII to a three window cluster.

I have now succumbed to the good pricing, and bought an SV6 manual. I would like to upgrade the cluster again, but am getting mixed messages from most sources.

I understand that the cluster is tied to the particular vehicle. It appears that it now requires more than a Tech2 calibration to install a new one, i.e. can only be done by a dealer.

Before I cough up the bucks to buy a new cluster, are you able to confirm whether the upgrade is feasible, and if so, what is involved?

I am aware that you were able to set up VY and VZ cluster for a price. Do you have similar capabilities with the VE?

Thanks & regards.
the VE cluster can be setup by any competent dealer, the VIN will program itself once it has been fitted to the car, it needs to be programmed though & is a dealer specific thing.
i will be able to do these soon just waiting on the appropriate interface.

Rob

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
the VE cluster can be setup by any competent dealer, the VIN will program itself once it has been fitted to the car, it needs to be programmed though & is a dealer specific thing.
i will be able to do these soon just waiting on the appropriate interface.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Your advice is much appreciated.

Dipz1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
hard to say without seeing it, could be a faulty coil or burnt valve?

thanks is there any way of finding out if its the coil or the valve??
And i was wondering if you could also tell me if this is tru or not i read in a performance car mag the by changing the gear box nd diff oil to royal purpul one can gain some extra hp in there car i was just wondering if this is tru or not thaks

edwardos11

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 2
reckon u could try to help me narrow down a fault in my car??
trying to start my car only ends in erything in my car cutting out. nothing works.
then after a little bit of time, everything goes back to normal, but as soon as i try and start the car the same thing happens. everything cuts out.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
thanks is there any way of finding out if its the coil or the valve??
And i was wondering if you could also tell me if this is tru or not i read in a performance car mag the by changing the gear box nd diff oil to royal purpul one can gain some extra hp in there car i was just wondering if this is tru or not thaks

any mechanic should be able to diagnose it

not sure about the oil thing, but think of it this way, if you change nothing in the engine how can it make more power?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
reckon u could try to help me narrow down a fault in my car??
trying to start my car only ends in erything in my car cutting out. nothing works.
then after a little bit of time, everything goes back to normal, but as soon as i try and start the car the same thing happens. everything cuts out.

sounds like you have a bad battery lead, check all the main battery leads at both ends

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.