Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
i have a XV series 2 berlina. i have 3 problems that annoy me.
1) this was an ex telstra car and has a T82 option that has the lights on all the time. until recently it was working fine. in the last 6 months it is constantly "blowing" bulbs, no exageration when i change them all i have is glass all throughout the headlight. its both the low/high beam and the parkers that have blown. how can i remove this option to see if its faulty and giving voltage surges etc.....????
2) whats with the fuel gauge with these cars? its showing over 1/3 full when i run out of fuel. if it wasnt for the trip computer in the berlina i would be constantly running out of fuel. i have to leave it showing fuel used. even so i use say 55 l and end up putting in 58 or more.... is there a fix for this?
3) it wont start first thing in the morning. what i mean is that there is a delay between turning the key and it cranking sometimes only 10 seconds sometimes it takes several minutes and multiple tries to get it to start. the funny thing is that every time after this it starts straight away. no delay...i thought it might be the alarm key so i bought a new one... same thing...any idea?

the T82 can easily be removed, get to the back of the headlight switch & unplug the relay wiring & reconnect the original wiring plug to the switch.

the DTE etc is a calculated figure & will always only ever be an estimate at best, it was never intended to be 100% accurate., it may also just be a faulty guage sender.

when it wont start does the theft light in the mode switch stop flashing

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
ok i need help urgently. i started my vs ecotec up the other day and out of nowhere came a chronic tapping sound. very loud. on closer inspection, it seemed like it was coming from passenger rockers. opened the rocker cover up and found out the source of the sounds, coming from one of my rockers. the rocker seemed fine but the pushrod on rocker in question is much lower than the other pushrods. because it is low it isnt pushing the rocker up on that side so then isnt pushing down agaisnt the valve spring, which is why it is loose and makes a tapping. the pushrod still moves up and down when engine is on but is overall lower, so when it lifts up it "taps" the lifter and creates this noise i have been hearing. there is about 5mm to 10mm movement in the rocker because the pushrod isnt against it. the question is, WHY IS MY PUSHROD LOWER????!!!! i have pulled it out and was exactly same size length shape as the one next to it, swapped rockers and made no difference. it has to be something to do with the camshaft?? there is nothing else i can think of? any help would be excellent, im stumped

its either a collapsed lifter or the cam lobe has worn off

njnathan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C/SPORT 5.0L 5Spd
Fuse blowing on VT mirror/powersteer circuit

I have a series 1 vt ss, when i try to adjust the electric mirrors, the fuse just blows, I replaced the fuse, same result when I operate the vehicle with engine not running. Electrics is not my strong suit, any help you can give would be appreciated.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I have a series 1 vt ss, when i try to adjust the electric mirrors, the fuse just blows, I replaced the fuse, same result when I operate the vehicle with engine not running. Electrics is not my strong suit, any help you can give would be appreciated.

theres too many possibilitys, take it to an autoelec,

Rarecommo7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 5spd
clutches!

Hi,
My names Jess i recently just bought a VT V6 5sp manual.....i found the other week that my clucth was sliping badly at high revs changing gears when overtaking....i pulled the cluth out and found that my cluth disc is fine but my flywheel is glazed and has been overheating and has discoloured....but because the VTs hav the dual mass flywheel there is a certain amount of movement they are allowed to have and i believe mine has excessice movement so i was wondering if you would be able to recomend a few places to find a new flywheel at a good price as my budget is limited on my income, or even recomend a differnt gearbox setup. And i was also wondering if you know if there are any stonger gearboxes that can bolt onto the VTs....and is there any difference between the VT and the VS manual transmissions?

your help will be much appreciated
thanx

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
hey,
my 2003/04 s2 vy acclaim has 85,000 kms on the clock has been serviced every 10k but since i bought it a year ago ive been putting up with a slight shaking of the engine when in park. it doesnt make any unusual sounds but when sitting in the car while its in park the slight shutter can be felt from inside. what could this be and is it serious?

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Dr Bob,

Is the TRAC OFF light on the cluster controlled by the cluster and able to be turned on or off with the Tech2?
I have a VT HSV cluster that does not have the cut outs for the traction control lights. I have tried making another light so that I know when I have turned traction control off but it does not work. If I re-install the old cluster the light I have made does work.
Is this a case of take it to holden to get it enabled or does the VT HSV cluster not support traction control?

Thank you in advance

bio_bloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Ute
Hi,
i need to know if my VY SII V6 ute runs with a OBD1 or OBD2.
I'm setting up a hydrogen booster and have been told that engines with OBD2 don't like the HHO and compensate by dumping more fuel in. However with the OBD1 the computer 'learns' to deal with the extra Hydrogen & Oxygen and get a way better fuel efficiency.

I have been told that the VYSII V8 was installed with the OBD2 but haven't heard about the V6
Cheers,

Al.

tankey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute 3.8
I was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden, everything in the multi-function window came on. It is all still on when the ignition is turned of as well. Has anybody else had this problem or know of a reason for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.