Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Attempted Hotwiring of my 89 VN Calais

Jibbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Hey guys,

I've got a few questions for you. last night some f***wit broke into my car and tried to hot wire it. 1st question, is it possible to unlock the the VN by removing the outside door handle? (it looks like its been levered away). the other thing is the ignition switch is currently just hanging from the dash, no longer attached to the barrel. is it easy to reattach? I tried simply pushing it back onto the barrel and turning the key but i got no response. I am new to the world of auto electrics so any help on what else they may have disconnected or broken would be much appreciated.

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
Best advice i can give you...........get an auto elecy out to give it a once over.

When the little pri**s tried stealing my VC Brocky a few years ago, they set the alarm off and cut alot of wiring trying to get her started (I had her wired up like fort knox LOL).

but i got my elecy mate to come out and he gave her a full going over, and am lucky he did. they got shitty when they couldn't steal her, so they started randomly cutting wires.

Got her back on track thou. Better to be safe than sorry.

Get someone out to check it out.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Until you've got the door fixed pull the fuel pump fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet whenever you leave the car overnight.
As for the ignition, get a new assembly from the wreckers and change over the lock barrel.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VN calais models had the deadlocking feature (standard on later models) where you turn the key in the drivers door lock and extra 45 degrees after its locked which then deadlocks it.This electronically jams the latches of all the doors and they cant be unlocked or opened, you cant even unlock it from the inside if the window is smashed.Just worth a mention,if this was set they shouldnt have even been able to open the door to start off with.Even if the door handle was broken.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I am pretty sure the ignition switch is usually held on to the barrel by 2 screws, they might have taken them out, or more likely just pried it away. You can stick your key in the end of the ignition switch (not the barrel) and turn it like normal to see if it starts.

My Gf's car got stolen once and while I was replacing the barrel (they stuck a screwdriver in) she still had to drive it around so we just had the ignition switch and the steering wheel, no covers. Was like that for 3 weeks (those barrels are a bitch and a half to get off) and no-one tried to steal it :)

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
My wifes vn lexcen got knocked off from our driveway when we got it back they had pulled the steering column shroud and removed the the actual ignition barrel from the switch and used the heater knob as a key. As far as getting in is concerned . The top of the door was flexible enough to fit an arm down to the lock.

Jibbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
thanks guys. upon closer inspection, the ignition switch has 2 plastic clips that they snapped holding it on. also i tried just using the key in the ignition switch but there seems to be no electronics working anywhere in the car. it doesnt do anything. somehow there is no longer any electricity running to anything.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It has probably blown the main 60A fusible link,these are under the bonnet,under a cover in front of the fuse and relay box,they look like a square type of fuse and are different colours.The main 60A middle one has a small bolt through it which has to be removed before it can be pulled out.This small bolt is behind a small plastic cover below the fusible links.

Jibbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
you guys are brilliant. i'll check the fuse tomorrow when i can get my hands on a spanner. thanks heaps for your help

Jibbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
quick update, turns out no fuses were blown and the only reason my car is still here is because the battery went miraculously flat in the 6 hours before it was stolen. luckiest flat battery ever. thanks anyway for your help. its currently in at the autos getting dodgy wiring fixed.