Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australia Day what are you doing?

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
January 26, Australia Day, is the date (in 1788) that the first fleet arrived from England with the first English settlers.

I see! Thank you. I will read more on this

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Actually they arrived in Botany Bay the week before but it wasn't until the 26th that they figured out what would be a good spot to 'settle'

The 'settlers' term should be used loosely given that aside from ship crew/soldiers the rest of the people in the first fleet weren't there by their own choice (more so the choices they made back home)....

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I must plead ignorance here. What is Australia Day? I remember during college days my Australian friends would invite me over for a barbeque and we have a few cold beers over tv. It was more a social event and good to meet up with people from all states. What makes it uniquely 'Australian'? :)

I'm so surprised someone hasn't abused you for this post and told you to get out of their country.

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I'm not from australia, neither 'in' australia. For my mates from australia who are working in Brunei, nobody ever discusses the historical point of australia day. It just seems to be an event where there's a good barbeque, good friends and a chance to catch up on the latest news.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
That's about what we did in the '70s. No flag waving. Cricket or something at the local park and lots of beer, bbqs.