Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian design rules and minispools

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Ok, I'm gonna be a bitch and turn this back to the whole exhaust thing. Sorry guys! But it's too early in the morning for my brain to make sense of the arguement of where an exhaust can leagally end.. :p

But my question is.....On my white VN, the exhaust stops just before the diff. (I didn't do it, it was like it when I bought it!) And I mean just before the diff. Is that an illegal place to have it, according to the ADR's? Is it within the 40mm of the last floorplan join?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Actually, I reckon your best bet is a properly engineered lockable diff. Trying to design a half arsed cable actuated minispool would most likely just end up with broken pinions at best. While lockers are expensive, they'll do the job! Take a look at this eaton electro magnetic unit, friggin awesome!
http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod1.htm

Or there's this, an automatic locker but it is available for a 28 spline borgy!
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

These would be expensive, but they'd be legal and probably end up being cheaper than getting someone to a) design and b) machine, a custom job.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Ok, I'm gonna be a bitch and turn this back to the whole exhaust thing. Sorry guys! But it's too early in the morning for my brain to make sense of the arguement of where an exhaust can leagally end.. :p

But my question is.....On my white VN, the exhaust stops just before the diff. (I didn't do it, it was like it when I bought it!) And I mean just before the diff. Is that an illegal place to have it, according to the ADR's? Is it within the 40mm of the last floorplan join?

That'd be in front of the boot vents mentioned earlier, I'm suspecting illegal. Also what angle does it point at? It's common practice among bogans to cut the exhaust short and point the tip at the road, this would be illgal in that it's at a greater than -45º angle.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
That'd be in front of the boot vents mentioned earlier, I'm suspecting illegal. Also what angle does it point at? It's common practice among bogans to cut the exhaust short and point the tip at the road, this would be illgal in that it's at a greater than -45º angle.

Well, the guy that did it is most certainly a bogan, but no. It's not pointing downward at all. It's pointing straight out like your normal exhaust.

But there is a chrome tip welded on to it though.....:rolleyes:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
ADR 24 - Tyre & Rim Selection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for tyres and 'Rims' appropriate to vehicle load capacity, 'Rim' size and speed characteristics.

This rule ceased to have effect from 1 January 2005.

/00 /01 /02

That's the rule that says what size rims and tyres you have to run and has been withdrawn from service. In theory that means you can run any size rim now so long as you aren't rubbing at any point in the suspension and all the other messurments are ok, was just readin gabout a guy with a WRX that got pulled over and told to get his 17's off and then told the cop that ADR 24 had been pulled so the cop went off and made some calls, then came back and said yeah you are right have a good night!:) but that was in QLD

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Graaaaa, reading more and more. OK
So far I've decided to be 100% SURE your legal, that's with all the ADR's and all the modification guides.

The exhaust out the side idea needs to be pointing away from the last window(although not mentioned in the ADRs it is mentioned in the modification guides), that's fine and doable on a Commodore so no problem with that one.

Wheels and Tyres well ADR 24 is gone and this has replaced it, rim size doesn't really count anymore, it's just based on tyre size then you have to run a suitable rim.

Well just read this yourself
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/...ction_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

Depends if you are going to include HSV cars or not but if you do you can run 305 tyres on a 10 inch rim legally without an engineers certificate on a VP :D (yeah baby) you can also do mini tubs legally without one too. If you don't count HSV you are limited to something like 265's on 9.5 inch rims, bummer! :( (you can go wider on the rims if you are running a lower profile with taller rims)

The bad news if that they have invented engine size limits for engine transplants and a boosted 5 liter doesn't pass the forced induction and cc's rule for a VN :(, the good news is that the V6 JUST passes and the better news is that the RB30 still passes and you should still be able to get away with no certificate in Victoria and some other states but worst case it only needs a fast and easy inspection and no emissions test.

One of the funny things is that in a Van or light truck or mini bus! you can run any size engine you want even boosted :) (Does a ute count as a light truck? if so you can run a boosted 5 liter in that but not the sedan :( ) Also the engine size limits are a "guide" so an engineer can let you run a boosted 5 liter if hes your best mate, but I suppose most of them will follow the guide

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you poor people, we can fit almost any tyre size we want, any engine as long as if it's output is greater then 10% of the original it needs to be certified and it doesn't stick out the bonnet to much(can't remenber the exact dimensions but it's got something to do with the further most rear position of the drivers seat and the bonnet line. brake mods need to pass a strength test of some sort and an engineers cert from the supplier goes a long way to this. lower it as much as you like as long as there is 100MM CLEARANCE TO ANY STRUCTURAL PART OF THE CAR. dump pipes are legal as long as they are behind the rear wheels but some people do seem to get away with befor the rear wheels if they are lucky. you can have NOS as long as it's certified. the new exhaust noise limit is like yours 90db and they are very tough on that at the mo cause of all the boy racer problems we have over here. not sure on minispools but they seem stupid to me on a road car anyways. things here are much more to the interpretation of the certifying officer and ifyou make sure your in contact with them during the build nad get there advice as you do things there is lots you can get away with. some stupid cops don't seem to think so but as long as you can produce the cert from the engineer they mostly will let you got. i had a huge argument once with a cop cause he didn't beleive my VH came from the factory with a 308, stickered me and all, nearly got arrested for arguing my case there and then. got a call the next day from the cop to say he was wrong and the sticker could be removed. don't remeber getting an apology however.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
this lockable diif ur talkin bout is called a detroit electrac i read it in a street machine ad, works off a switch mounted anywhere in the cabin. proberly just works like a 4wd

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Got too belt a VN Calais V8 yesterday, 3 things in my time in it.

1: Power isn't over the top comparing it too a VP V6 my car, But she will pull harder in 2-3 gears longer more but too 70 i think it would be very close. Say goodbye too 200.
2: It was quieter inside then mine (exhaust):( But gear changes were ruff and that made me appreciate my car more.
3: It had a spool... I don't like them at all i felt very unhappy with it turning going straight and it Skipp's corners didn't like that very much and would like too maybe not see them legal. Was good too feel the rear step around kickdown @ 70:D.

So going on what greenfoam said a L67 transplant into a VP is fine and not in need of a engineers report:D

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The bad news if that they have invented engine size limits for engine transplants and a boosted 5 liter doesn't pass the forced induction and cc's rule for a VN :(, the good news is that the V6 JUST passes and the better news is that the RB30 still passes and you should still be able to get away with no certificate in Victoria and some other states but worst case it only needs a fast and easy inspection and no emissions test.

One of the funny things is that in a Van or light truck or mini bus! you can run any size engine you want even boosted :) (Does a ute count as a light truck? if so you can run a boosted 5 liter in that but not the sedan :( ) Also the engine size limits are a "guide" so an engineer can let you run a boosted 5 liter if hes your best mate, but I suppose most of them will follow the guide

what about VN V6's with CRS superchargers. do they need to be engineered?