Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian design rules and minispools

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
ADR 24 - Tyre & Rim Selection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for tyres and 'Rims' appropriate to vehicle load capacity, 'Rim' size and speed characteristics.

This rule ceased to have effect from 1 January 2005.

/00 /01 /02

That's the rule that says what size rims and tyres you have to run and has been withdrawn from service. In theory that means you can run any size rim now so long as you aren't rubbing at any point in the suspension and all the other messurments are ok, was just readin gabout a guy with a WRX that got pulled over and told to get his 17's off and then told the cop that ADR 24 had been pulled so the cop went off and made some calls, then came back and said yeah you are right have a good night!:) but that was in QLD

Graaaaa, reading more and more. OK
So far I've decided to be 100% SURE your legal, that's with all the ADR's and all the modification guides.

The exhaust out the side idea needs to be pointing away from the last window(although not mentioned in the ADRs it is mentioned in the modification guides), that's fine and doable on a Commodore so no problem with that one.

Wheels and Tyres well ADR 24 is gone and this has replaced it, rim size doesn't really count anymore, it's just based on tyre size then you have to run a suitable rim.

Well just read this yourself
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/...ction_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

Depends if you are going to include HSV cars or not but if you do you can run 305 tyres on a 10 inch rim legally without an engineers certificate on a VP :D (yeah baby) you can also do mini tubs legally without one too. If you don't count HSV you are limited to something like 265's on 9.5 inch rims, bummer! :( (you can go wider on the rims if you are running a lower profile with taller rims)

The bad news if that they have invented engine size limits for engine transplants and a boosted 5 liter doesn't pass the forced induction and cc's rule for a VN :(, the good news is that the V6 JUST passes and the better news is that the RB30 still passes and you should still be able to get away with no certificate in Victoria and some other states but worst case it only needs a fast and easy inspection and no emissions test.

One of the funny things is that in a Van or light truck or mini bus! you can run any size engine you want even boosted :) (Does a ute count as a light truck? if so you can run a boosted 5 liter in that but not the sedan :( ) Also the engine size limits are a "guide" so an engineer can let you run a boosted 5 liter if hes your best mate, but I suppose most of them will follow the guide

While ADR 24 is no longer in place, the Vehicle guidelines for each state are.

Each states guidelines SPECIFIES the 2 inch rim rule, it does not just specify the ADR.

*Edit* I just spoke with Transport SA's Vehicle Compliance Centre, and they said yes that is correct that ADR 24 is no longer in use, but the 2 inch rim rule is still correct and comes under Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 42/04 – General Safety Requirements)... But I checked that ADR: http://www.frli.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/02CE0ACA677D5A6CCA2570D600174462/$file/ADR%2042-04%20[FINAL%20FRLI].doc and it is not mentioned there... *shrugs*

Im very keen to follow this up and see where it leads... Any excuse to have legal 19's on my car :p

Last edited:

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
any modification like a supercharger with a large power increase needs a larger brake upgrade. Mine doesn't have upgraded brakes though :whistling

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
While ADR 24 is no longer in place, the Vehicle guidelines for each state are.

Each states guidelines SPECIFIES the 2 inch rim rule, it does not just specify the ADR.

*Edit* I just spoke with Transport SA's Vehicle Compliance Centre, and they said yes that is correct that ADR 24 is no longer in use, but the 2 inch rim rule is still correct and comes under Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 42/04 – General Safety Requirements)... But I checked that ADR: http://www.frli.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/02CE0ACA677D5A6CCA2570D600174462/$file/ADR%2042-04%20[FINAL%20FRLI].doc and it is not mentioned there... *shrugs*

Im very keen to follow this up and see where it leads... Any excuse to have legal 19's on my car :p

Those federal modification guides are fairly new and I think and it might take a while for the states to update their's but a few phone calls to the right people might make it happen faster : ) There is nothing in ADR 42 about wheel size, keep calling them untill you find someone who's in charge of this stuff and get it changed because the 2 inch rim rule is clearly dead as the poor dodo

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
what about VN V6's with CRS superchargers. do they need to be engineered?

Legally yes, but since they are able to be pulled off so easily most people would just pull them off when the epa tell them to get it off and come in for a test

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Legally yes, but since they are able to be pulled off so easily most people would just pull them off when the epa tell them to get it off and come in for a test

what about if someone is told a second time? would they face a fine for not going in for a test?