Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian design rules and minispools

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've been reading the Australian design rules all night because I'm becomming highly suspicious about the whole mini spools are illigal theory, I couldn't find all the ADR's yet but I've read the ones I could get my hands on and I still can't find where spools are illegal, I don't get how 4wd's can be hoping around corners with factory lockable diffs and cars can't and trailers can be bouncing around corners with solid axels either. Anyway if I find it I'll let you know. I also read the exhausts ADR properly and not some granny tale invention about what you are allowed to do and it's quite interesting to say the least :)

Cars are code MA

42.8. EXHAUST OUTLETS
42.8.1. Enclosed LE vehicles, and MA, MB or MC vehicles must meet the
following requirements:
42.8.1.1. the exhaust outlet must extend at least 40 mm beyond the furthermost
outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan which is not continuously
welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of
exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the
perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan;
42.8.1.2. the exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must discharge to the right
hand side of the vehicle and downwards at an angle to the horizontal of
not less than 15 degrees and not more than 45 degrees; and
42.8.1.3. the exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle must discharge at not more
than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below the horizontal.

Make of that what you will, but I know what it means for me and it's nice indeed :p

As for the spools if someone would like to point me to the ADR for drivelines and diffs that would be ace, now I'll sleep

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
So you are allowed a V8 supercar side exhaust system:D As long as it's on the right side.

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
So you are allowed a V8 supercar side exhaust system:D As long as it's on the right side.

As long as it 40mm past the furthermost weld of the floorpan. I think that puts it some where around the rear wheel.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Sure it sounds all good but dont forget you have many other adr's concering safety ect ect. Id expect the exhaust would still be illegal. In law etc nothing is as straight forward as it seems. I bet there are hundreds of adr's overlapping eachother preventing such modifications to be made. Sure one can say you can do this within certain parametres but it could be breeching other adr's. If there was a loop hole like this why do you think others havnt done it? Im sure many ppl have read the adr's and have tried to overcome them but with no such luck. If you do find any make sure you let us know :)

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
As long as it 40mm past the furthermost weld of the floorpan. I think that puts it some where around the rear wheel.

40mm past the furthest weld is the weld under the rear bumper bar, in the boot. So the only place you can put the exhaust is out the back of the car. Unless it is a vehicle with a cab over chassis. ie: a truck or ute.

4PLAYN

Reaction score
I am sure its more the fact that when you turn corners the inside wheel spins faster than it should .... If a cop car was to the direction or your turn he will obviously think your doing a burnout and pull you over.

If it is legal to have a minispool then i would say alot of people would be rather happy. But in my opinion, its no different to a tightened up LSD.

Is any of this wrong? Only what i have heard. I need a new diff before anything, the last owner welded it together (so its like a minispool - cheap bastard :p) and it snapped. So minispool would either be the next option or go LSD IRS ....

Cheers

Adam :w00t:

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
At the end of the day it's up to the interpretation of the cop sticking the canary on your windscreen.

There was a similar argument not so long ago regarding the low mount driving lights which are so popular now days. I found the ADR which stipulated what the requirements were, and I made sure I adhered to them so I could have the lights turned on during the night.

All went well until one day I got pulled over by a booze bus down the road and the cop in charge told me in no uncertain terms to turn them off. I argued my point based on the ADR, but he was adamant that either I turn them off or get a fine.

So, outraged, I went home, printed off the ADR and went back down the road to settle the score once and for all.

After our friendly verbal discussion had concluded, it was evident that he had won on the grounds that he thought the lights presented a hazard to oncoming vehicles, and if he chose to fine me, then it was his prerogative to do so. He also added that I, of course, was well within my rights to dispute the fine in a court of law, albeit at my own expense.

Conclusion. The beauty of a democracy is that laws are fluid, and are always open to interpretation and modification, and if you are prepared to fight your cause, then by all means stretch it to the limit, but be prepared to pay for it. Keep in mind, however, that the prosecution's representative has a decent budget to play with.

(just my 2.2¢ worth.) :)

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Air Bagged VR Calais, VLCT RB20, VLCT EFI V8 Turbo
driving lights are illegal if there isnt a switch to turn them on/off that isnt the standard switch

It has to be a Seperate switch for spotties! like all the cars have from factory