Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming of My Link Screen

Caprice0359

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 Caprice V - 6:0 V8
Good day to all , and Best Wishes for the holiday season,
I find that the screen on my MY15 Caprice V will automatically dim when driving along IN THE DAYTIME - despite being set on Daylight setting. I am aware that as night approaches or light conditions change - the screen can change to night setting - but mine will change when driving along - in constant daylight conditions. VERY ANNOYING. Has anyone else experienced this with their vehicles.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Mine is quite touchy... I've noticed just driving through the shade from trees on the road will cause the screen to dim. I haven't found a solution.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah ours is touchy too. I've never had it dim for no apparent reason, but I have turned the car on & it was dim on startup, and wouldn't brighten-up until I parked and turned it off & on again.
The wonders of MyLink ...

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
My screen dims when the headlights come on. This does happen to me when I go through a shady area even if it is bright sunlight.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I had this problem when I took delivery of my S1 SV6 sedan. The problem was that the sunlight sensor, centre dash above the central speaker(?) was not engaged in the small "top hat" type fixing clip. Depending on the heat and cool on the dashboard, the sensor would be high and then low caused by the wiring supporting the sensor from below. Depending on the driving direction and the sun striking the sensor, my GPS screen was unreadable during bright days.
The dealer had it twice to fix it.
They finally replaced the top hat mounting and reengaged the sensor on the Top hat clip and all has been good ever since.
If your sensor is not engaged properly, the sensor can be pushed down through the top hat clip.
My impression is that all work can be done from above the dashboard if there are no wiring faults.

SydneyGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SV6
Previous models had the ability to change the sensitivity of the auto-headlights (which also dims the screen and puts the Nav into night mode) but this is not available in the current model (not in the SV6 anyway). It's really annoying as it is way too sensitive. You pretty much only need a bird to fly over and shade the sensor briefly and the headlights turn on only to turn off again a second or two later. If driving through an area with lots of trees you can have the lights turning on/off constantly. I tend to just manually turn them off in situations like that. This problem is right up there with the lack of red light/speed camera warnings in the Nav system in terms of annoyance levels.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Speaking of the dimming screen i just noticed it yesterday when i started the car in the garage that the screen was much dimmer. Hadn't paid attention to it before reading this post LOL.
Im guessing its dimming the screen because the headlights turn on as well soon as i start the car in the garage? Really wish there was a way to permanently keep the headlights off when starting the car regardless if its light or dark outside :(
Im paranoid this will kill the life on the Xenons lights now.

Ive notice though on the dimming part there is a delay on mine (MY14). Reversing from the garage into the sun takes about 4-5 seconds until the screen brightens up again i noticed yesterday.

Caprice0359

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 Caprice V - 6:0 V8
Good day All again
Thank you for your replies re my " Auto Dimming " My Link Screen. Am aware of factors like driving thru tree`d areas and under carparks etc but my screen will alter its SET ( read Daytime ) brightness out of the blue - when light conditions haven't changed eg - out on the open road !!!!!!! Re " Auto Headlights " - I keep my Caprice on Parking lights setting - NOT the " AUTO " setting - hence they don't come on when light dims -eg in carport

OSH1360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ill add my annoying rant to this...

i have a VF2 redline, and have a dashmat, my lights are always on and the mylink screen/rest of the dials dim. to combat this to drive during the day with just the DRL's on, i turn the auto headlight funtion off. which in turn switches the headlights off and puts the DRLS on.

what it doesnt bloody do is adjust the dim on the screen/dials so i have to do it manually and adjust it to the brightest setting. then i get in the car of a night time, and **** me dead the car almost blinds me, i think its more safer to stare at the sun.

#sorry for the highjack, but i needed a good rant.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
ill add my annoying rant to this...

i have a VF2 redline, and have a dashmat, my lights are always on and the mylink screen/rest of the dials dim. to combat this to drive during the day with just the DRL's on, i turn the auto headlight funtion off. which in turn switches the headlights off and puts the DRLS on.

what it doesnt bloody do is adjust the dim on the screen/dials so i have to do it manually and adjust it to the brightest setting. then i get in the car of a night time, and **** me dead the car almost blinds me, i think its more safer to stare at the sun.

#sorry for the highjack, but i needed a good rant.

Is there a push-out part in your dash mat to expose the light sensor? The other function of the dome device is to advertise the security system is active in the vehicle. Can you punch a neat hole in the mat to expose the dome ?