Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming of My Link Screen

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ indeed, your R2 unit needs to see!

Scarred4Life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Had the same problem. Ended up cutting slightly larger hole in my dash mat around the sensor. Working a lot better now.

OSH1360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
the little dome is exposed. however its a pretty snug fit.

i have thought about making the hole larger, but im just too lazy! id rather rant.

thinking about it now, the auto headlights and the auto diming are more then likely separate and have nothing to do with each other.

Alan A Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
CD Calais v series 2
Good day to all , and Best Wishes for the holiday season,
I find that the screen on my MY15 Caprice V will automatically dim when driving along IN THE DAYTIME - despite being set on Daylight setting. I am aware that as night approaches or light conditions change - the screen can change to night setting - but mine will change when driving along - in constant daylight conditions. VERY ANNOYING. Has anyone else experienced this with their vehicles.
Yes this happens in my car vf Calais MY16 trying to find out if there is a way to take it of this mode so it stays bright all the time

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
I had the same problem. Lights would turn on/off, dash would brightness early in the morning. Particularly when the a-pillar would block the sun from hitting the light sensor. The following thread discussed this issue.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/dash-lights-screen-on-and-off.288356/#post-3193194

I followed the instructions on the Chevy SS forum (link in the thread) and removed goop in the sensor. I initially removed all the goop and but put some of it back just not on the ambient sensors. I even bought a spare sensor from the US just in case I stuffed the one in the car. Auto dimming works perfectly now even with the dash mat.

Edit: I didn't realise this was such an old thread.

Last edited:

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I have the same issue although I’m no really bothered by it as I hardly ever use the Mylink system/screen.

always have my phone on the air vent mount with Waze for GPS & government revenue camera locations and I don’t use music streaming off my phone instead just have a 8gb USB with hundreds of shitty 2000s quality 128kbps mp3 ripped off YouTube for music

Talkativegal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Evoke
I find that the screen on my MY15 Caprice V will automatically dim when driving along IN THE DAYTIME - despite being set on Daylight setting. I am aware that as night approaches or light conditions change - the screen can change to night setting - but mine will change when driving along - in constant daylight conditions. VERY ANNOYING. Has anyone else experienced this with their vehicles.

Hi, I booked my car into Holden dealership and was going to cost $160 an hour and take 4 hours to look at, wtf? Anyways, after reading all reply’s on your thread I took my phone out to car, switched on torch & held over sensor on dash & low & behold screen lit up like a Christmas tree!!!! Then tried LED torch & screen didn’t light up. Now am thinking it is a safety feature so of a night time screen automatically dims BUT this doesn’t help in low light situations - like reversing out of my carport, underground car parks, covered car parks, under tree’s, etc. SO MY SOLUTION is to save myself the headache is to purchase a small heavy duty torch (not LED), hopefully rechargeable (as I already have a battery bank) & tape it to the bottom of the windscreen so screen stays lit of a day. Will then turn it off in the afternoon to prevent issues with night time driving and other drivers. Might look a bit strange to other drivers, etc BUT at least my screen will stay lit of a day & I won’t waste $640 with Holden to find out their is no issue with my screen. Hope this helps everyone who wants to give it a try, .

Talkativegal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Evoke
Hi, I booked my car into Holden dealership and was going to cost $160 an hour and take 4 hours to look at, wtf? Anyways, after reading all reply’s on your thread I took my phone out to car, switched on torch & held over sensor on dash & low & behold screen lit up like a Christmas tree!!!! Then tried LED torch & screen didn’t light up. Now am thinking it is a safety feature so of a night time screen automatically dims BUT this doesn’t help in low light situations - like reversing out of my carport, underground car parks, covered car parks, under tree’s, etc. SO MY SOLUTION is to save myself the headache is to purchase a small heavy duty torch (not LED), hopefully rechargeable (as I already have a battery bank) & tape it to the bottom of the windscreen so screen stays lit of a day. Will then turn it off in the afternoon to prevent issues with night time driving and other drivers. Might look a bit strange to other drivers, etc BUT at least my screen will stay lit of a day & I won’t waste $640 with Holden to find out their is no issue with my screen. Hope this helps everyone who wants to give it a try, .

Also I don’t have the ‘day’ setting on my display settings or anywhere in my settings menu & dash lighting is turned to the brightest setting. Lights switched off also. And my link reverse camera lighting set to the best quality/lighting setting however still dims therefore the torch idea.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon

Telstar1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SPORTWAGON
My vf2 Sportwagon, 35000kms has this problem. It is has new car warranty and is booked into the dealer next week. Has your prob been resolved ?