Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or Manual - SS VE Series 2

oscarmanalpha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS wagon 6 man
Hey guys,

Got my SS VE Series 2 on order due to a stuff up with the order of first series. Was going to get it in a manual due to the AFM not being in the manual, but now AFM is going to be in both the autos and manual not sure what i should do.

Are you sure the Manual is now AFM. As far as I can tell the auto motor is a L76 and the manual is a L98. The engineering in the L98 doe's not allow for AFM and is 10kw up on power, and the torque figure is also higher.

If you got the info from a dealer salesman double check it.

Having looked on Holdens site which now has the details of the V8 series 2 cars it clearly states AFM available on auto's only.

Commodore Range - Vehicles - Holden. Go better.

Any how I bought the manual I don't sit in traffic a lot and I like the extra control over the vehicle a manual provides.

If was to sit in traffic a lot I would have may be considered the Auto.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Just having driven my manual in Sydney CBD, I can honestly say that the gearbox and clutch were not an issue. If you did it every day and all you did was mainly crawl, then only then perhaps an auto would be something to think about. But I love the manual and I actually had a bit of fun with it in the big smoke. And you can keep your AFM, I was getting 8.4l/100km on the weekend (highway driving mostly, but still sydney driving and canberra driving).

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
manual is not afm ! salesman in the dealers dont know new year from new york ! ( this was series 1 though few weeks ago ! )

the auto in the holden is crapola ! the manual is the same as the ford and thats a good drive ! manual v8 is horn ! if you want fuel economy or for town driving, buy a hyundai i30 crd ! grunt and cheap to run ! :)

ChrisL98

NON DONATING MEMBER
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
How so? There's plenty of people getting very good results with the AFM still enabled. Yes, you're limited in cam choice etc with the AFM but there's still options out there. Personally I think AFM is a wank, but some people insist on keeping it.

My apologies, I was under the impression that you lost the AFM when you had it tuned.

johnnyv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v a6 v8
HI my car had a problem with the auto it seemed the stop between 1st to 2nd shift after taking to holden it was found to be low on trans fluid .Got it back and wow what a difference .I thought it was a traction and stability thing but it was the auto low on fluid.
Ive got a VE Clubby and I use the active select for when I'm slowing down/driving thru busy streets to give it a good roar/back fire.. As for taking off its not that great tends to get stuck in 1/2 gear due to wheels spinning etc etc (wont change gear)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just having driven my manual in Sydney CBD, I can honestly say that the gearbox and clutch were not an issue. If you did it every day and all you did was mainly crawl, then only then perhaps an auto would be something to think about. But I love the manual and I actually had a bit of fun with it in the big smoke. And you can keep your AFM, I was getting 8.4l/100km on the weekend (highway driving mostly, but still sydney driving and canberra driving).

Don't you just love Sydney traffic! Thanks, Clover... another gem! Only $50Billion worth of mistakes to go!

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Also it's worth noting that the manual actually gets better economy than the AFM-equipped auto.

If you can find the old VE specs sheet that used to be on the Holden site it states it in there.

My 2 cents, cheers.