Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or manual?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not as their own fun car, without some enforced limitation stopping them from getting the more fun option, no.
I can accept that limitation might be heavy traffic on a daily basis; but that's still an enforced limitation, as an enthusiast if you could drive to work without suffering traffic you'd choose a manual.
Oh, assuming you're a car or driving enthusiast, I can't speak for steam train enthusiasts or celeriac enthusiasts or what-not. :)

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
I have been into cars my whole life have built drag cars and have had all types from SAs fasted NA rotary to skylines FG Turbo V8s and now an Auto SS redline. I buy what I feel like at the time!

JAK71

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDLINE
Blu Steven just did a "road test" with a white manual redline and provides his opinions on this, go check it out - search carnut.kiwi

Cheers,

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I'm very enthusiastic about my car. It's an auto.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Manuals are so soft to drive today I don’t understand why people see autos as having any huge advantage in traffic.

I drive both and don’t think twice about stop/start traffic duties if I’m in a modern manual.

I'll admit 40 years ago there were times when driving in traffic I thought my left leg was going to fall off because of fatigue but with today’s light clutches it’s now a thing of the past.

I'd take a manual option every time if it's available.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
panhead, I see you're on the central coast; but is there any chance you remember before the Eastern Distributor what (I think it was called) Crown Street was like, if you came off the southern end of the Harbour Bridge and drove over Circular Quay and round the back of The Domain, and then there was that ~1.5km long moderately-steep uphill crawl that took maybe 20 minutes?

As an enthusiast of manualness, driving my very-easy-to-drive AE82 Twin Cam up that hill 3 days a week made me understand why one might want an automatic for the daily grind. I reckon I went through a month's worth of clutch every day I drove up that hill ... :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
panhead, I see you're on the central coast; but is there any chance you remember before the Eastern Distributor what (I think it was called) Crown Street was like, if you came off the southern end of the Harbour Bridge and drove over Circular Quay and round the back of The Domain, and then there was that ~1.5km long moderately-steep uphill crawl that took maybe 20 minutes?

As an enthusiast of manualness, driving my very-easy-to-drive AE82 Twin Cam up that hill 3 days a week made me understand why one might want an automatic for the daily grind. I reckon I went through a month's worth of clutch every day I drove up that hill ... :)

I’ve only lived on the Central Coast for the last 4 years and even though I was born and grew up in the far north west of NSW I lived in Sydney from the age of 18 until I moved to the coast.

I initially lived in Lavender Bay (North Sydney) and worked in Rose Bay but when I married I moved to Roseville and commuted back and forth in peak hour to Double Bay for years with much off it driving over the Harbour Bridge before the tunnel was opened.

The section you’re talking about over the Quay is the Cahill Expressway and I drove it twice a day, 5 days a week in stop start traffic to William Street then up and under the Coke sign along New South Head Road.

In those early days during the late ‘70’s & ‘80’s I drove manual V8’s to work and the first auto I had was a company car in 1989 but I still drove my own cars for pleasure every chance I got.

I’ve continued to drive my older cars around Sydney all the while I lived there and even as early as last week I drove my XY with a top loader and without power steering to Sydney for the day.

So I don’t just have a memory of what it’s like to drive old school manuals in traffic, I still do and I find the new manuals to be so soft that I don’t need an auto.

I will say I do have some automatic cars but that is because there was no other choice.

But given the chance I’d still go manual every time but I can understand others see it differently, it’s just not for me.

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
What a dumbass statement...actual end of discussion.
#### this manual vs auto debate makes me ####in laugh every time - so many close minded ass-hats on both sides.

Drive what you want - who gives a ####

clearly you do, by getting your feelings out.

of course people can drive what they want.

the OP was asking for opinions, i gave mine. you don't agree, good for you.

luckily we are all allowed to have our own

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Manual they sound better, it has more pop and growl in the shift changes than the auto's. I only got to test drive a auto Redline and I am very happy I chose a manual. V8 manual a lot more fun to drive when you find quite twisty roads. End of the day its your car your money buy what you like. And they are easy to drive in the peak hour traffic. That's my two cents people 