Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Shifts like a granny after a service.. advice pls?

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
so my auto was due for a service, and having had bad experiences with another auto place, i took it upon myself to goto another one recommended by several people i know with decent enough cars.

anyhoo. after having said auto service, my shifts arent anywhere near as hard as they were (no tyre chirping into 2nd or 3rd - even manually using the shifter) the shift feels smooth but having had a stage 2 rebuild and having it shift hard for the last 2 years im surprised at this behavior immediately after a service.

im left wondering, should i just throw a brick through the window of the place that serviced it and take it elsewhere to try and find out what they screwed up, or take it back to them and see what they have to say, before i lob a fat one through their window.

also - anyone know a good auto service that deals with performance auto's in the S.E suburbs of melb?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a lot depends on what fluid was used in the rebuild it may have been high friction stuff or of a different grade than they put in makes them change gears way different with different grades of oil

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
go back and stand for your right... tell them plainly since the service the gear shifts are crap

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
fast20and20the20furious.jpg

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
follow up

so, taking the advice here - i went back and explained the situation to the place in question.

they apparently re-serviced the auto - topping it up slightly more than last time (i have a massive auto cooler which takes about 1/2 as much fluid as my auto, and i know its a bitch to get the fluid level right)

anyhoo, after the re-service, the auto is back to slamming gears...

this has reassuring that the business owner is willing to listen to customers and take appropriate action where needed, a bit disheartened that they didnt get it right the first time though.

thanks to all that contributed - i really appreciate your input, hopefully this thread becomes some use to someone else having troubles after a service (of course, you will need to hope that the company that serviced it has the ability to listen to the customer like the place i went through)

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
^^^Off topic, but I thought all VR's had ABS?
I say this here because you have the 'true-mans-steed' as your sig. (for those that were wondering)

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
No only some had ABS, my old Berlina had ABS and IRS and my VS has No ABS and Live Axel.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, theres no abs on my vr.

also, another follow up to the topic - seems that the auto has reverted to shifting like a granny after 3 days of moderate use. so looks like its goin back again for another reflush, this time with high friction fluid.

anyone got any suggestions on the best transfluid?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
another vs with no abs and a live axle here

my last car (vr ss) had a stage 2 transgo shift and always shifted hard when i was into it, from memory it only had normal dextron 3 oil in it