Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto to manual conversion? Vy ecotec ute

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Red Hot vy Storm S Uterus
Is it possible to fit a 5 or six speed manual to an ecotec, currently auto vy storm ute, what's involved? What price would I roughly be looking at?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Yes you can fit both but the 5 speed is much cheaper
For the 6 speed your looking towards 10k.

Best off getting a wreck and takin everything you need.

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly found a wreck! 5 speed manual everything works it's a vn tho will it fit u rekn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
And how much is involved? Will I need to buy much if I have a complete vn to use. Mine is a vy ute vn is a sedan. I wann know what I'm doing before getting committed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Vn has the T5 box and vy would have getrag, can be done but a lot easier and cheaper going with a getrag box

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Easiest is a getrag. You can do a 6 speed, I don't think it would be as much as 10k. Need a second hand t56, an adapter plate, clutch setup and a tailshaft. Unless your planning allot of horsepower though there's not much point. A Vn gearbox would be a muck around aswell because it only has a reverse switch. Thats the only wiring involved with the vn - vp t5. So your ecu would be like "where's ya gearbox?' I think with the vy gearbox you just need the tune edited to a manual tune?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Using the VN gear would require a custom tailshaft, and working out how to get the speedo working (Getrag and T5 use different sensors, I believe the Getrag is the same as the auto). The ECU from the VN won't work in the VY. T5 is a cable clutch, and the pedal box won't bolt in, so you gotta do something about that too.

T56 needs a conversion plate and possibly a custom tailshaft. Easier than the T5 as the VY V8s already use it, so bolt in gear exists. Still probably not worth it given the awesome gear stripping ability of an Ecotec.