Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto tranny problems on 3.8 V6 '92 Commodore Station Wagon Executive

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it's not about the rpm that defines where a th 700r4 is shifting correctly it's the speed.

light to medium acceleration it should be changing gears at or close to the below speeds providing the tv cable is set correctly.
Using around 1/8 throttle (will update how far to press the pedal if/when i re-register the vn here)

1-2 24-32 Kmh
2-3 40-48 Kmh
3-4 64-72 Kmh

If you're just cruising up to 60 kmh with very light throttle application it'll go into forth below the 64-72 kmh speed.
Pressing the throttle heavily (hard acceleration) will move these shift points to higher speeds etc.
If the cable is to lose it'll slip under acceleration and change gears higher than the speeds posted above (and destroy the clutch packs, if really lose it'll destroy them in minutes)
If the cable is adjusted to tight it'll change gears below the speeds posted above and harshly engage (engine will also be laboring and fuel economy messed up).

Last edited:

kitted vp

project vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vp exec wagon
Is the cable your talkin bout bein 2 loose or tight the kick down cable mate?
im fittin a replacement tranny to my vp as the current one slips like ****!
so how do I know what 2 tight or loose when I set it up and im also replacing the tourque converter 2 should I prime it with some fluid before fitting? Ive cleaned the tranny right up and am going to dump the old fluid and put a service kit thru it before it goes in! I heard the tranny holds around 4.5 litres of fluid so would I be safe to chuck a 4 litre bottle in her before start up? Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yes, kickdown cable is another name for it. fairly sure the info is on the forum somewhere but here it is again.

tvcableadjust.jpg

In the instructions where it says to open the throttle, do it by hand on the throttle body and open slowly. If done in the car and you stamp on the pedal or to fast it can force the cable to jump through the adjuster to far.

11 liters required if the trans and torque converter are empty
4.8 is the amount if only dropping the pan (general service)