Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Trans problem when hot - need a trans cooler ??

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
Repco, hmmmm.......cork gasket....risky....
But if you've used it and its working, whats the diff, as long as it holds the oil in....it didn't do it for me or my mechanic when he rebuilt my motor.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
service interval for the VS 3.8 auto is 80k reading the owners handbook. the previus owners before me didn't service it at all and hence the trouble i now have. do a full service every 2 years (full flush/filters etc) and maybe a simple fluid only service in between at home etc. do fit a external transcooler as the standard internal radiator job isn't that great. the VS comes with it standard so there must be a reason holden did that. i've got a temp gauge on mine and it still gets up around the 90 degrees in traffic and you don't really wanna get much hotter then that or the transfluid is getting a real hiding etc

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
My VR is booked in for a trans service tommorow arvo. $140 and 1 1/2 hour wait. Lucky there is a pub across the road:drink:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Had my Tranny serviced today. Ended up costing $143. Spoke to the Mechanic who did advise me to fit a better trans cooler and see if the problem comes back again.

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
See how it performs first before you go fitting on an aftermarket oil cooler.....
Did you notice an improvement in the gearbox performance? I'm sure there is.

Biskit

Biskit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dirty old VN exec
Woteva, how did u go with ur (tranny) service? Tell us where u went and what u thort of them. I'm lokin fer a new place to get mine done, any suggestions?