Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto trans question

jabba13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 95
Hi just wondering when you drain the trans oil out. how much it would roughly take to fill it back up. I'm not sure how to test the level correctly some one told me i have to have the car running when i do, any help would be good thanks

Poms308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 308
correct me if im wrong but it depends on ur transmission on how much fluid it would take, i just had to refill mine after blowing a trans cooler hose and it took about 3l but if u have dropped all urs then probs take about 5-7L's. yeah start ur car let it run for a 5-10mins then fill up by the trans dip stick hole and just check every time u feel uve put a fair bit in levels are on the dip stick..hope this helps

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
when i did my auto i put 5l in then took for a little drive around the block then jumped out checked the level then did that a few times till the level stays the same all up i put about 7L in but i had to fill the torque converter to

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The book says a service refill takes 4.8 litres and if the trans is bone dry including converter it will take 7.9 litres. If you change your oil the most common way, you will just drop the pan, change the filter and gasket, bolt it back up and refill with 4.8 litres. I always measure the oil I drain (put in old plastic 2 litre milk bottles) and add the same...that way I know I am near the correct level. Good Luck.

Lance2560

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6exec
check around the RIM of your gasket make sure you didnt over tighten your bolts, ive taken my trans pan off 4 times in 3days to try and stop a leak, my pan is WARPED and i cannot seal the leak nomatter what i do it's still leaking now so this will be the 5th time ive takin it off , time to source another pan from the wreckers

Poms308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 308
check around the RIM of your gasket make sure you didnt over tighten your bolts, ive taken my trans pan off 4 times in 3days to try and stop a leak, my pan is WARPED and i cannot seal the leak nomatter what i do it's still leaking now so this will be the 5th time ive takin it off , time to source another pan from the wreckers

ive checked the pan and theres no leaks there its coming from the front end but its not the tranmission cooler hoses and its not the pan ive followed, degreased hoses and still found nothing on pipes and 100% its tranny fluid:S think ill be taking it to the auto mechanic 2moro lol coz its pissin me off