Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto trans slippery and not going past 2nd

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Do you want to edit that dude or are Sonnax a figment of our imagination? You can make a 4L60E pretty damned tough if money isn't an object. Pretty much every component is replaceable with something stronger.

IMO building up your own is fine when you have a spare in the garage waiting for your current to break.

huh? im talking about factory stuff... im in no way discrediting a 4l60e, not even in the slightest, i just installed a stock, early, single piece case behind my 454, so thats gotta show you i have some faith in them.

okay.. I was under the impression the vt-vy 4l60e internals were made tougher, ill tell you what I was told..
"i can build you a performance trans with gen 3 internals which are much better and performance upgrades like: 5 pinion planetary,beast shell,Z-pak..ect ect for only $2000."

otherwise the standard replacement was priced at 1500

yeah the 5 pinion panetary was the 4L65 upgrade. so went 4l60 to 4l65 cos the 65's had a 5 pinion, hence the "5". there was a bunch of other factory stuff too. but the 5 pinion was the best upgrade (from what ive read online)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
sorry, from what i read from post #1 was that youve already had the trans "built", and by built, that kinda means means corvette servos, best sunshell, kevlar 1-2's shift kit etc. the ONLY upgrade the 4L65 had over the 4L60 once youd already done all the L60 upgrades was the 5 pinion planetaries....

does that make sense?

they had hardened impellors etc but it was mostly just stuff that the modders did on a regular rebuild anyway.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
what im trying to say is:

if youve already had servos installed, shift kit installed (including the valve body plate), new bushes and seals (which you need to do with a decent shift kit) 13 vein pump, and what-not, then all you need to do to get your trans running again is replace the 1-2 clutches, which is fkm easy.

drop the trans, pull out the pump, pull out the input shaft, etc etc.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
nah the shift kit in my auto isn't a decent one. its a half arse $250 one. pretty sure bump the line pressure and a corvete servo

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
huh? im talking about factory stuff... im in no way discrediting a 4l60e, not even in the slightest, i just installed a stock, early, single piece case behind my 454, so thats gotta show you i have some faith in them.

Yeah man, I get you, just sounded like you said they couldn't be upgraded full stop, but you meant GM hasn't changed them since the late 90's. I knew you weren't bagging them :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
nah the shift kit in my auto isn't a decent one. its a half arse $250 one. pretty sure bump the line pressure and a corvete servo

ah i see, well i stand by my opinion that theyre not hard to rebuild. it gets a bit sketchy when sourcing parts though, if you buy them all seperate, they can add up to the point where the price difference is only a couple 100 bucks, in which case it'd be better to get a pro to build it and get the associated warranty.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
4L60E transmissions kits and parts at trutechtrans.com - These guys are the shizz in 4L trannys. They used to be on eBay and reside in the states but are pretty familiar with Commodores. They'll recommend you a custom kit based on vehicle (weight, ratios, HP) and your driving needs/wants. That's if you want cheap parts from one source and plan to do it yourself or have access to cheap (beer fueled) labour.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Another mob in aus are drivetech Motospecs - Drivetech if you're going to give it a go yourself.
$250 shift kit would most likely have been valve body separater plate mods, vette servo and maybe boost valve, that'd work out to be about $250 parts & labor.... all pretty easy to do without removing the trans.