Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Trans Toughened Rebuild 6L80

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'm interested in hearing from people who have a toughened rebuild of the VF auto transmission. Any issues? How's it drive? Smooth?

I've spoken with Craig's Autos in Sydney. They offer a 800 hp package (flywheel hp). They've been around for a long time and have a good rep.

I've got 550 rwhp. So I reckon that's about 660 flywheel hp. I do wonder how long my stock trans will last. It sorta seems ok for now but it must be groaning since I got the Harrop 2300.

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
hp shouldn't be the limit should be torque, u can have 800hp with 800 torque or well over 1000 torque can vary greatly, shifting with big torque takes a good tuner that understands how the trans works as that is the key to them lasting

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Shiftrite have done a bunch of Stout 6L80's which have been proven behind a big block on drag challenge. So its certainly doable, main difference will be if you choose to change converter speed and how aggressive the shifts are. If you're aiming for bigger power the shifts will be firmer that what you have now.

Ssv008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline 2015
I'm interested in hearing from people who have a toughened rebuild of the VF auto transmission. Any issues? How's it drive? Smooth?

I've spoken with Craig's Autos in Sydney. They offer a 800 hp package (flywheel hp). They've been around for a long time and have a good rep.

I've got 550 rwhp. So I reckon that's about 660 flywheel hp. I do wonder how long my stock trans will last. It sorta seems ok for now but it must be groaning since I got the Harrop 2300.
I had my vf Commodore L77 6.0 ltr trans upgraded done at craigs automatics to 800hp upgrade Jamie and team are extremely nolligable guys and they all know there stuff I've got a 2300 harrop with higgins heads CHE trunnion upgrade kit with DOUBLE SPRINGS AND A 871777K CAM a full 3inch ceramic exhaust also upgraded my fuel pump to a return set up with deatwerths camaro drop in fuel pumps x two 300 pumps with regulater and fuel filter tuned by power torque at brendale only place I'd take my car very professional and nice guys, my gearbox drive extremely smooth I also have a 3000 dominator stall converter must say nothing is ever perfect in high performance engine's though I am extremely happy it drives extremely smooth for a high hp redline cheers

Last edited:

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks 008. Sounds like a nice setup you've got there. I like the Harrop rocker covers and red lead covers too. How much hp you got? Did Craig's recommend and spec your dominator converters?

Please tell me about what is not quite perfect or a compromise. Cheers

Ssv008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline 2015
Thanks 008. Sounds like a nice setup you've got there. I like the Harrop rocker covers and red lead covers too. How much hp you got? Did Craig's recommend and spec your dominator converters?

Please tell me about what is not quite perfect or a compromise. Cheers
Only wanted 660hp rear treads as recommended by craigs automatics as they send all recommendations to tuners. As I have no bottom end work done yet power torque said they could of got 700hp easy but didn't want to break anything they are really professional and honest 660hp is plenty enough trust me I'll finish my car next year spend another 15k bottom end pistons rods ect to gain 800hp+++ at treads next may until then just enjoying my rig gotta love harrop, love all my cars have A lot of other holdens and so glad I kept them.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
just enjoying my rig gotta love harrop,

Never a truer word has been said. I love driving my car each and every time. The supercharger feeling is a good one.

Ssv008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline 2015
Never a truer word has been said. I love driving my car each and every time. The supercharger feeling is a good one.
Enjoy champ take it easy be safe let me know if there's anything I can help with cheers I'm out SSV008

Fallsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but did you end up doing a rebuild on your 6L80 VF Sleeper?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES