Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

autos and big exhaust dont mix

ADDICTVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6
as some of you know im building a raptor supercharged v6. so when it come to exhaust ive been listening to as many v6s as i can and ive come to realised that auto v6 and the twin 2.5 ill be having sounds really bad. in a manual i like the sound but auto its so so droning its going to do my head in. I think the only option is to try and make it alot quieter. what does everyone else think.

I know when its out of gear and you rev it it sound ok and when its in full song its ok. but normal driving is the issue

Last edited:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
yeah i have a 2.5" system on my auto and its loud as **** it is rather annoying in the morning especially when i drive up a hill just near my house and the car stays in second the whole way up it a 3 500rpm, so god damn droney, it hurts your ears. So this time on my ute im gonna get a muffler cause mine is a straight pipe on the auto

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Twin 2 1/2" is too big for a V6, even if it is blown. You really should look at twin 2 1/4" as it wont sound crap like the 2 1/2" will and it will also allow a better torque range.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
droning. drowning involves water.

ADDICTVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6
sircruisealotVS

yeah that might help or i might go a single 3in. i always thought twin 2 1/4 would be to small but i guess down low would be alot better.

vlv8vic

Who cares

akuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8T Executive
use a decent muffler..
I have a HKS super dragger under my bench.. they are awsome, they get rid of drone.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Use a system that has hot dogs up the front and a straight through twin in twin out rear muffler. No drone and still has straight through performance.

As it happens, I do just a system like that, not the cheapest in the market but still good value at around $600 shipped. Twin 2 1/2" with stainless tips.

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
my exaust was cheap and very worth it

hi im using muffler called redback, for my cat i punched a hole straight through the guts, so there is no inside to it, straight through, pace maker extractors, straight through pipe at the rear and cut the last box out, all this is 2 1/2 inch all the way through, i have gained ALOT OF POWER, i was 3 car lengths behind my mates vn 3.8, now im 2 in front, so you cant tell me i did not gain any power out of this?

and MAN IS IT LOUD

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Are school holidays over yet?......

psivyv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportswagon!!!
haha obviously not...........im running 13/4 pacies with 2 1/4 primaries then 2 hotdogs up the front with 3" from theres back with a muffler at the rear and sounds absolutly shithouse haha