Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axle Tramp - Is there an actual solution?

H

harrop.senator

Strip usually has higher chance of tramp due to the glue and the traction differences. Stock set ups definitely arent the primo drag set up you want it to only squat an inch or so before it lifts up. Kerens ute was shonky as with fe2 and stock ute springs. Interested to see how it goes as with new motor im contemplating ordering the same springs for my senator the traction was pretty inpressive.

Rigggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Update,

Everything installed and aligned and problem solved. Pushing it through some hills runs, the feel of the car has been massively transformed from what it was (Lovells ssl & struts). Was also planning to do sway bars & links but discussions with the guys at MCA has turned me off doing that, they've tuned the coilovers to not need heavy sways, which I agree with. FYI of what I did for those wondering:

MCA Purple XR 9kg Front 9kg Rear (adjustable valving set by MCA)
Superpro Subframe Void fillers
Superpro Diff bush kit
Superpro H/D Rear spring seat bush kit
Superpro Front subframe mount bush kit

How it sits:

23223342_1522039587865418_1287926083_o.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
MCA make good stuff. What was their reasoning to ditch the sway bars?

Rigggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Didn't ditch them, just kept the standard ones. Will make the car too stiff and skip instead of gripping.

H

harrop.senator

Thicker sway bars aren't as important with very stiff springs. Until coil overs starting being seen in Jap cars in the 90s most aftermarket springs are 4-5kg so the sways stopped the body roll significantly but were still "comfortable" if you put to thicker sway bars on with a very heavy Spring rate the car wont roll its weight off enough to corner without under / over steer you want a car to corner almost dead flat but not quite. That's why race cars lift wheels out of corners you have to drive them completely different when they're that stiff and 90% of time in Street applications can be worse off .

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i usually think of it as everything has its job, sway bars stop body roll and springs control bump/rebound, if the springs durin a corner have to hold the vehicle level as well as bump/rebound then they are doing an extra job that could be done by another component, thats ok if the stock sway bars are up to it but i wouldn't want to have super stiff springs just to stop roll, i done adjustable sway bars in mine as well as coilovers and am slowly setting it up to work the way i like it, its amazing how little front or rear spring/shock changes can change its cornering

H

harrop.senator

Everything does have its job but it's not as important you're talking to a bloke who owns a car that has like 8 chassis braces , 10/8 kg coil overs, 27mm front sway Bar and a 20mm rear in a 1200kg car lol.

Baz from datsports built and raced Datsuns for years with tried and tested results and removes the rear sway Bar on 180bs and 1600s for years and replacing the springs with 1100lbs/inch which is like 20kgs or something because of the tangent the control arm and spring works on sort of like commodores.

One of my commodores has hhd Ute springs , double sway bars, 60mm gas shocks and a brace and its still too soft lol. I find commodores need a lot thrown at them to handle well. I myself would have full coilies and sways. My senators got hd springs billy's sways and still under steers like a mother.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sway bars are more of a tuning tool, get the springs/shocks right and then use the sway bars to tune the handling (under/oversteer).

H

harrop.senator

I still adjust my dampers and spring pre load couple times a year for tweaks pending tyre grip , tyre sidewall if I'm heading to the track or the strip.

One of the things I love about 32 way adj shocks lol. I find your constantly improving and changing no matter how much you spend theirs no off the shelf works sort of set up. It's not like a motor where it's got afrs. Everyone drives on different roads , different tyres pressures , different driving Style.

I almost wish I could be one of these guys that pays us to do shocks and springs and brag about how it handles like a race car. I think my old r31 spent more time suspension tuning then motor tuning and had two different motors three different turbo set ups over the years. Unfortunately it's a very large grey area.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, I'm thinking of trying a set of those Viking shocks in the back of my VS Senator.