Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axle Tramp - Is there an actual solution?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
My senators got hd springs billy's sways and still under steers like a mother.
i have been trying to fix that in my GTS and i have it alot better still a little more rear spring tension i think will help, i prob have it 100% better then stock but still not perfect

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you tried softening the front swaybar?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
what i noticed at the start was the front coilovers were sitting just on bump stops so ive increased the spring pressure to raise it up a little which has prob helped the most, my front to rear balance isnt right the rear is much softer so ive been stiffening that up a little at a time, my sway bars are both on the softest settings, and also driving style makes big differences mine dosnt like to be coasting thru a corner or braking too much into the corner its much better with a bit of constant load under it or with acceleration the whole vehicle feel changes a bit not as much as it use to before ive been playing with the settings but still a difference

H

harrop.senator

Have you tried softening the front swaybar?

This.

I'm going back to an fe2 stock front then a v6 if it doesn't help with it.

Immortal if I was to do the senator whole set up again I would have probably just ordered qa1s to length lol.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Axle tramp? You need more horsepower. :D

Heavy wheels combined with a sticky tyre compound is a recipe for tramp.
If you throw a set of stockies on it will fry like a champion with no tramp.

Rigggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Swaybars are a tuning tool is exactly right, if they are fitted too tight or not tight enough no matter how good the brochure looks they can have a severely adverse effect on the cars characteristics.

My coilovers also adjustable valving. The car's handling at the moment is very neutral, but the rear will still step out before it understeers (on neutral throttle). With the hp it has the car steps out anyway under throttle but it has a surprising amount of grip, easy to differentiate between a fast corner exit and being a peanut and just bagging the rears.

I also race superbikes, where suspension tuning is paramount to a fast lap time so I'm pretty well versed on how to play with it. My issue was to eliminate the wheel hop which I have done so happy days!

Rigggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Axle tramp? You need more horsepower. :D

Heavy wheels combined with a sticky tyre compound is a recipe for tramp.
If you throw a set of stockies on it will fry like a champion with no tramp.

I've got horsepower (550atw) and a retune with more boost and e85 coming...