Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Axle tramp/Wheel hop???

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
yeh these tend to stuff up alot ive seen just replaced mine on the vq cost was 100 bucks from holden ended up getting one suited to a vx but same/same, then u can get a nolathane insert that slots into the viods in this rubber to reduce axle hope etc and also maximising torgue to the rear wheels cost of this is $30 from repco it just pushed into the oem damper then bolt it up to the diff. secondly there are two bushes that sit at the front of the cradle forward of the wheel arch nolathane sells kits for this also to reduce axle tramp etc

can post up links to the pdf's regarding these items if interested also part number for the diff damper is 92084906 price $100 incgst

lippy6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute 5 speed
i sorta had same thing. i think mine was a centre bearing that went which snapped bolts to the gear box and smashed the speedo cable housing outa the gearbox cost a bit to fix

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
yeh these tend to stuff up alot ive seen just replaced mine on the vq cost was 100 bucks from holden ended up getting one suited to a vx but same/same, then u can get a nolathane insert that slots into the viods in this rubber to reduce axle hope etc and also maximising torgue to the rear wheels cost of this is $30 from repco it just pushed into the oem damper then bolt it up to the diff. secondly there are two bushes that sit at the front of the cradle forward of the wheel arch nolathane sells kits for this also to reduce axle tramp etc

can post up links to the pdf's regarding these items if interested also part number for the diff damper is 92084906 price $100 incgst

Cheers man that'd be kool. I think the last one's you mentioned, I've already replaced with nolathane.

rhysjohnsssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
ey sorry for missing this post from ages ago but my ve does the same hopping thing if u tromp it in 1st when it should just light up easy wondering if u guys had a proper fix to this as ive got a few mates with ve's n some do the hopping n some just spin like they should

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ey sorry for missing this post from ages ago but my ve does the same hopping thing if u tromp it in 1st when it should just light up easy wondering if u guys had a proper fix to this as ive got a few mates with ve's n some do the hopping n some just spin like they should
the VE is known for it the rear axles are too small for the job, VCM have anti wheel hope axles that fix the issue, mine use to be really bad and the only way i found mine to stop is after i fitted a blower now it just spins...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
the firmer you rear end is the less tramp you'll get. my ss tramps allot less since i've lowered it and put in short shocks. my vp tramps allot less since i replaced the old crappy shocks with some brand new cheap arse shocks. the ride is pretty rough with the new shocks and they hardly let the springs compress, but no more tramp!

also badly balanced rear tyres don't help. allot of people grab some old rims that have been sitting in their shed for 10 years, chuck them on the rear and wonder why they get tramp. because the wheels aren't running true!

so the less your wheels have to move the less likely they are to hop. anything like firmer bushes, shocks or springs should help. and yes it might be at the price of ride comfort.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i have coilovers in, full bush kit in rear k frame even done diff rubbers and didnt change the tramp in mine at all, got a nice diff whine from the diff rubbers tho so changed them back stock, usually vz and earlier just lower them and it fixes them, VE are different u may be lucky or u may not...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Chuck a few bags of cement in the boot.