Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad alloytec rattle only at 3000rpm+

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Oh. Also, the leak in your manifold or cat coupling is really bad. It will be causing a few issues and one of them will be higher fuel consumption.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
running the recommended 5W30 was and still is the biggest contributor to early chain failure. It's well documented and it also came from my mate who worked at GMH in R&D for years.
Absolute bollocks

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Don’t. Use 5W-40 or 5W-30.

It’s seriously bad advice to use thicker cold temp oil.

The Alloytec is a high tolerance engine. It’s not a clunker 202.

The chains in the video are absolutely rooted. That happens because a few things coming together.

1. Poor crank case ventilation. There is a fix for it, but in your case you need a priest, not a PCV fix or 10w-30.

2. Infrequent oil changes/poor service history.

3. Clogged oil galleries due to both the above. That leads to poor tensioner oil pressure. That leads to a stretched and rooted timing chain.

4. It is a collective consensus among us enthusiasts that service intervals need to be done at 5000-7500. Not at 10000 or 15000.
yeah i was going off the penrite app, it said 5w-30. but i replaced the chains? and the oil pump. and yeah the last owner was pretty bad with the services, always around 15000, one even getting close to 30000. since ive owned it though ive always done 5000.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Oh. Also, the leak in your manifold or cat coupling is really bad. It will be causing a few issues and one of them will be higher fuel consumption.
yeah it still kind of sounds like its leaking, but i legit just resealed them all, and when i did the manifold i put a new gasket on it, how could it be that bad?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it still kind of sounds like its leaking, but i legit just resealed them all, and when i did the manifold i put a new gasket on it, how could it be that bad?
A cracked header. Still not sealing the manifold or coupling even when you think you did.

It would be easily confirmed by doing a smoke test on the exhaust system. I’m bettering you see smoke leaking out of a few places. A laser pointer is great for finding small leaks during a smoke test. A torch for medium ones and the naked eye for huge ones.

Feed the smoke in via the exhaust pipe.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
thats what the holden manual says
1715511245125.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Engine probably also needs a good internal clean.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
A cracked header. Still not sealing the manifold or coupling even when you think you did.

It would be easily confirmed by doing a smoke test on the exhaust system. I’m bettering you see smoke leaking out of a few places. A laser pointer is great for finding small leaks during a smoke test. A torch for medium ones and the naked eye for huge ones.

Feed the smoke in via the exhaust pipe.
could i do it myself or would i have to go to an exhaust shop you reckon?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you wish to check the condition of the PCV system, undo the oil cap and lay a bit of paper towel across it. Tell us what happens to it.