Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad alloytec rattle only at 3000rpm+

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
If you wish to check the condition of the PCV system, undo the oil cap and lay a bit of paper towel across it. Tell us what happens to it.
it dosent suck air in, the pcv is completly fine, i cleaned it out and nothing came out

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
thats what it first sounded like, that was 3 months ago right after i did my cams and chains. it had a small ticking noise, and it was loudest at the headers. i picked up on it only after i did the cams and chains. so go figure i guess.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
could i do it myself or would i have to go to an exhaust shop you reckon?
Make a smoker yourself. There are videos on YouTube as well. Any decent workshop will have a smoke tester which also regulates air pressure.

I made one from a mattress pump, some retic parts, robbed a hippy for their incense, and plastic container and some pipe cleaners.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Make a smoker yourself. There are videos on YouTube as well. Any decent workshop will have a smoke tester which also regulates air pressure.

I made one from a mattress pump, some retic parts, robbed a hippy for their incense, and plastic container and some pipe cleaners.
yeah pretty sure our workshop dosent have one so ill have a look at making one, or possibly buying one if there not too expensive

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve got a few plates in the air right now. I’ll try find some links for you. It doesn’t need to be fancy.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Was that before or after you replaced the cams and chains? That looks awfully clean for an Alloy that has had extended service intervals.
that was during when i replaced them. it only has about 150000k's at that point. its an omega international, and owned by an old lady so defenitly wasn't flogged.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
I’ve got a few plates in the air right now. I’ll try find some links for you. It doesn’t need to be fancy.
yeah cheers, and 100% i dont need the best of the best. but would an exhaust leak cause all that noise? especially that grinding noise in the first video. or is it just the best place to start you reckon?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
but if its from the oil not being thick enough, wouldnt it tick when its cold, and stop when its hot. because 10w-40 would still tick when its cold.
if its lifters i might just replace them, wouldnt be too hard.
It will be very difficult doing Lifters,
As they don’t have standard lifters..

The Alloytec’s have roller rockers,
And I have done them on my LY7 Alloytec,

It’s not a hard job, but intensive to make sure you tension all the bolts up to spec.

I forgot to mention, the chains need to be removed,
to get the cams off,
to replace the roller rockers.

Last edited:

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
It will be very difficult doing Lifters,
As they don’t have them.

The Alloytec’s have roller rockers,
And I have done them on my LY7 Alloytec,

It’s not a hard job, but intensive to make sure you tension all the bolts up to spec.
yeah ive been trying to figure out how to do them or where they are but i cant find anything. but they dont have them? what about the links to buy them?
just a bit confusing. but yeah im hoping it will just be a rocker cover off job and no timing covers having to come off