Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balance Shaft Rattle, getting rid of.

W

whisky

The thing is im willing to take the risk. For a two hour job in total which could get rid of this stupid F&%king rattle ill take the chance. Just out of curiousity, has anyone actually done this before. Without balancing the bottom end? nor a double row timing chain? or will this be a virgin job and every one just SAYS it will cause viabrations?

Im not stupid and know that it has to effect the balance in some way but Im so keen to see how much it does.

do a search over on the s t r e et commodores forums, plenty of people have done it and get bad vibes.

If your going to do it, you will need to plug up the rear oil feed or you will have a high oil pressure drop, and we all know what that will do.

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
im cursing i have the same problem got a quote for 1200$ to fix it not worth it il put up with it i think i dont mines bad though it only does wen its cold and after the engine warms up it dissapears but is back in the morning again after the car is rested

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
street commodores done this to v6 vengance but they balanced the bottom end, this was done to the 2nd engine v6 vengance had and from all reports it was still allright and ran right

but as i said they did balance the bottom end

good luck anyhow, keep us posted. would be interesting as to how you go and just how much the engines are out of balance without the balance shaft

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Hey all sorry for the Delay, Had other problems to deal with the last week. Will have the timing cover back on 2morrow so we will see how she goes.

Also Joey18 mine only makes the noise after its warm?

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
HAHA COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!!! No rattle and No Viabrations!!! everything went smooth as. Removed the Balance shaft Cog/sproket whatever you want to call it, left the Balance shaft sitting in there. Put the Timing cover back on and wala, no rattle. Had a slight coolant leak due to a stupid mistake with the gasket silicon, but all is fixed and running well. If any one has any Questions let me know. The whole job cost a total of $10 for the two gaskets, and only took about 3hrs. Although it really took 2weeks due to my work comitments.

But as said before this might not work for all engines, but hell for 10 bucks, why not!

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
my balance shaft is starting to go in my car, mech told me about 700 buks fitted for a new one, u can hear it at certain revs. Would b interestig to try what u did, but i dnt wanna take the chance, maybe if it completly goes i might, or ill just throw in a s/c v6 instead.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats great vracclaim2....just shows there's more than one way to skin a cat and save some $$$ at the same time.
How are the vibrations thru the rev ranges - idle up to say 4500rpm? - no vibrations that come in and out?
How many K's on your motor?

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Cars got 200,000 kms. No viabrations through any of the rev range. At idle engine is smooth as. Very happy with the $10 fix.
Also Id be happy to write up a little how to if anyone wants me to? But as I said theres no gaurantees! lol.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I really find that pretty amazing - every article I've ever read on V6 engines says that they need that balance shaft but I guess that this may not be the case in all instances.
The best bit about what you've done is that it is easy to reverse the modification if it doesn't work!....and cost and time are minimal.
I'd like to see a writeup as if nothing else it keeps people thinking of all options.
Regards

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
I have had a look at a JP dual row timing chain kit & it just says remove the gear & fit the chain - they would have a disclaimer on it if they thought that it would cause problems I would have thought.