Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balancing masses used on black gloss rims

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
Firstly glove wearing....Unfortunately in this day and age of OH&S, gloves are pretty much a necessity for a fitter to wear, along with ear plugs....So not a great deal that can be done there. Unless you change gloves every wheel change, which then becomes a costly exercise.

Removing old wheel weights....Fitters are not allowed to use kero, brake fluid, or petroeum base products...Against OH&S laws....The stuff I have used can lead to removal of paint, due to the lack of coating thickness used on rims....However this generally happens after the rims are a few years old. Another issue is, the double sided tape used on the stick on wheel weights is pretty sticky.....It can be quite difficult at times to remove old wheel weights...

Black wheel weights....I covered this in the previous posting.

No disrespect intended VC. I was just posting feedback on having black rims worked on at tyre places singe getting my Redline in November as asked by the OP. At both places I have used I have been disappointed with unmarked wheels coming back to me with marks on them

I understand the black wheel weights aren't everywhere due to the low number of them on the road. I was just commenting that some fitters have them and it is a nice touch on black wheels to have black weights.

I actually didn't know what the dots were on the sidewall, now I do!