Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ban those old cars!!!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
if it goes ahead car yards will just put their prices up 3 k anyways like they did with gas get 2 k from gov gas prices went up 2 k

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
They can suck my balls. Id rather drive my 20 year old car then drive a boring new car.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Yay its a return of our old friend *laughs*

Anyhoo, if you read the article, you'd realise that they haven't actually done anything about it yet, its simply been proposed to the federal Treasurer by the MTA. Nothing's actually been done yet. It may never happen, and hopefully, it won't.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
when will it come in

Depends, I think there should be a petition about it, that way we can tell them when it should come in.

Unfortunately I don't know how to write a petition :(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Cracker get a freaking cat on your car, I have to breath your fumes. Building a new car where there are thousands and thousands of perfectly good ones being crushed all the time even right now is stupid. It's an ecological nightmare and anyone suggesting we should buy a new car just for the sake of pumping up the economy to fake levels should be shot. Future generations, I'm talking tens of thousands of years from now (if the planet ever lasts that long and it would if goverments weren't so stupid) are going to need resources to build much more important things than we can even imagine and I really don't like the idea of us wasting it all now of silly things new cars we didn't need. We should all be living as simply as possible, reusing as much as we can for as long as it will last and generally doing the right thing. Don't beleive any of the hype, Get on ebay buy some veggie seeds go all Cuban style and keep driving your VNs for as long as they will last (you should get 50 years no problem :) )

In case you are interested the 2 Alcoa Aluminium factorys in Victoria use 30% of all the electricty in the state and 30% of all the pollution that comes from making the power + the massive pollution that comes from the process itself. Worth thinking about next time someone tells you how much better an Alloy block is during cold start emissions testing

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
watch my father go out of business who is a mechanic, and 90% of his work would be cars that are 10 years and older

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Cracker get a freaking cat on your car, I have to breath your fumes. Building a new car where there are thousands and thousands of perfectly good ones being crushed all the time even right now is stupid. It's an ecological nightmare and anyone suggesting we should buy a new car just for the sake of pumping up the economy to fake levels should be shot.
Seems I agree with what most have said here.

Hopefully the only person who thinks there is any merit in the idea is MrMcall of the motor traders association who only has one interest here, making money out of selling cars. He would be better off considering another career rather than this scheme to save his skin.

If Mr Mccall was concerned about pollution, a better argument would be to jack up the price of petrol, rather than give someone $3000 for a forty year old mini that still gets 40mpg so they can trade it in a new hummer that gets about 7mpg. Safety, NSW has annual rwc checks.....is he arguing they are ineffective?
Catalytic convertors: no they arent going to save the planet, they have no effect on reducing CO2 emissions.
What of all those $1000s spent on the lpg rebates on 10year old + clunkers, not that it was a good idea, but scrap them too?

Hopefully our pollies aren't stuck in the 1940-50s mentality with the idea that rescuing the auto industry is going to be the way for our future prosperity and will prop it up with no end of taxpayer subsidies. We will see.

Last edited:

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
bring that in i've got about an acre of old cars

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
What kind of F.W thinks up these sorts of ideas?

'Awesome I have $3000 to buy a new car! Now how do I get the other $15,000?' :cry:

My wife's car is a 91 Laser with 280,000kms on the odo. Looks like crap. Some rust, but runs great. It get's just over 8L/100kms combined city/hwy driving. I service it myself. I'd rather keep that and save my money than buy an over price new car and have to pay nearly $400 for every service so I can keep a stupid warranty.

when will it come in

Mate, where have you been hiding? Still driving that crappy VP or did you buy that ED Falon you've always dreamed about?