Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Barra swap

muzza27

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy commodore ute s1
Hey all, wondering if anyone's done a barra conversion in an s1 vy ute? Also the difficulty, parts needed, fab work, total cost. Really interested in doing it to mine!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hey all, wondering if anyone's done a barra conversion in an s1 vy ute? Also the difficulty, parts needed, fab work, total cost. Really interested in doing it to mine!
Will basically be the same as the VS Barra conversion that Fullboost did.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not going to be cheap, so be ready for that.

Outbak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
I had a test drive of a BA Barra Wagon when new at the dealer before buying my VY Wagon I still own now. The Barra is a very nice motor. The main difference I found is the Barra would rev out higher allot smoother. This is why it probably gets more power than the Holden six. The Ecotec provides nice low down torque and doesn't rev out as smoothly as the Barra. If it is to be a swap just for a Ford NA six it's not much gain. The money could be spent on BA Falcon.

If you are going to spend money on Barra for a VY also consider LS1 too. More chance of getting money back on a V8 Holden.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Easier to swap an LS into it given they already came with them. Better engine with better resale in a VY.