Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bashing cats on VY LS1

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
hey my standard cats have recently decided to become dislodged on my VY so I have a few options considering I have standard hsv headers. I don't want to go buy new extractors in order to upgrade to high flow cats and also because I have an aftermarket tune it'll have to be redone yet again. If I were to remove the cat material would it start messing with the tune assuming the O2 sensors are being used, start running like crap and throwing engine lights? Also what's the easiest way to remove the material inside without cutting and welding? I've heard it's a nightmare. Thanks

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Don't be a bogan and bash out your cats. It will sound like ass and you will find you probably lose power not to mention it's illegal. Not that hard to get some new cats welded in.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
but if you want to bogan it, they are ceramic so a good wack would start to gut them :) <-- coming from a NZer so legal to not run Cats

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I was told by a reputable camshaft manufacturer not to damage the cats as it would mess with the o2 sensor readings and actually be detrimental to driveability and power. Not sure how true it is, but I suspect there's some merit to it.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
don't the VZ, VE have O2 sensors after the cats? I think that that scenario is where the readings get messed with, my brothers tune deleted these and only used the ones in the down pipes from memory. As far as gutting the cats I doubt you'll get advise on doing illegal mods on here.

If you were in NZ I'd tell you to get a decat pipe fabricated, any exhaust shop would do one with flanges for SFA.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Surely you can pick up standard cats at a workshop for bugger all? The amount of cars that get full exhaust upgrades is huge, and the old gear has to end up somewhere. You're replacing like for like so it'll just bolt up