Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

basic water injection non boosted

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if you were to install the injector in the plenum then running off a single injector pulse wont spread it wide enough, the further from the the cylinders you can stream the water, the better (in this instance)

if you want the injector to stay on, it will over heat the coil and kill the injector. itll have to be changed for a nozzle and spray controlled differently.

if you find you need to use more or less water, you can simply dial down or up the water pressure

tsunamix: how did you measure the new lower temperatures?

i was under the understanding that this thread is about making a water injection system from stuff you have laying around or is cheap to source (garden hoses and spare fuel injectors etc) not "i wanna do the same water injection system as tsunamix's boosted rocketship"

i for one am enjoying just the discussion, and am keen to see how it all turns out. if its **** and doesnt do anything (other than cut fuel consumption) then meh, whats he spent? 50-60 bucks and a few hours online?

TheVsStig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 97 wagon
hit the nail on the head ari. as i said tsunamix any input more the welcome, but ari is right i'm trying to make a setup that anyone could make for 30-80 bucks, depending on how they source things and what is lying around. and end of the day if it all goes to the shiz atleast you can say, told ya so.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
And also, just to throw my opinion back in here... my car is living proof that you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for a setup. With the increase in economy I received (which is THE biggest difference between doing this on boosted vs nonboosted) and a small but noticeable increase in power (only because the engine was in distress prior to water injection) I can honestly say that over the last 500kms since installing my water bottle and vinyl hose, I've saved maybe 20-30 dollars in petrol. Given the cost of the setup... it's already paid for itself 5-6 times over. Not a bad result if you ask me.

Tsunamix, how much more gains (whatever shape they come in) would I expect to get from your suggested setup and what would my approx cost be?

TheVsStig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 97 wagon
exciting news people, i have tested the pump with the 17psi switch and on idle it injects 5cc of water (NOT THAT IT WILL BE RUNNING ON IDLE). delco wizard said that the v6 ecotec injects roughly 50cc per min of fuel on idle, so this ties in perfectly with the 1:10 ratio goal. even though i will be mounting a switch to cut the injector at idle, i'm assuming that if there is a 1:10 ratio on idle it will hold this the whole way through my rev range as the flow is controlled by a injector. i'm not sure how many psi the pump drops too before it kicks in again, but i couldn't see any diff in the spray pattern and in 5cc it kicked in 6 or 7 times using 30cm of 3/8th hose. when the pump did kick back in it was for about a 1/4 of a second. i'm hoping that with a hose running from my boot to my engine bay the pump will only be kicking in every couple of minutes and only for a few seconds.

feels so good to have a solid plan now lol. all i have to do is make the circuit, find a tank, some hose and wire it all in. provided there's no :bang: :ranting: :computer: moments i should have this done by the weekend.

EDIT - btw the pump is super quiet i doubt i would even hear it if driving at 100 with all the windows up and the air con and stereo off. probably as loud as my tiny little aquarium air pump

TheVsStig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 97 wagon

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
What does the extra water do to the O2 readings? Seeing as I'm guessing it will be metering more oxygen than is really present? Neglible amount?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
why would it measure more oxygen? we're not electrolising the hydrogen out of water. we're just adding it to the combustion. its still water at the end of the process.

And then combusting the seperated hydrogen to gain 100kw......

Yeah okay was just curious as to what happens there but you make a very good point ... Thanks ari for clearing that up for me

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
How does the injector go running at only 17 pound of pressure? Have you tried at 70 to get a comparison?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR