Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bass Issue

badger__rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VnExecutive
has it always done this? or just recently?

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
so quite possible i dont have enough power, to drive the sub, not from the amp but from the actual connection.

possibility that the earth is not great, also possibility amp isnt getting enough juice ! they need quite a bit ! i have a alpine v10 running a 2000w competition sub and its very thirsty on power...and i had it in my garage running off a gel battery with 2 sets of 6x9's (also 300w alpine):D would flatten it or start shuttign off due to volatage dropping low... more noticeable when giving it some welly ! :D

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I pretty much have the same problem, always happens to me when i turn the volume up to much. People are telling me that a capacitor will stop it from doing that.
Maybe your in the same boat as me mate.

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
if you want seriosu sounds, yo uneed the battery and alternator to match it ! along with correct wiring and **** loads of other stuff.. theres a few sites out there that will let you plan your install and give you the minimum spec's needed for opowr/wiring etc....have a search on the net ! :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Unless it was installed incorrectly then I doubt it the battery or alternator. I had 1400wrms of bass and 600wrms of speakers running off a stock 100amp alternator and Bosch Gold battery and it would handle it fine, on extreme bass notes it would drop as low as 11 volts but it would never cut out.

Here are some possible solutions
1. Gain is too high, basically you are over-driving your sub amp and sending it into protect.
2. The amp is overheating and going into protect mode. To test this, run this at the same settings it cut off last time and then feel the amp, if it burns you then its too hot.

Is there a main power cable going to the backseat/boot and then using a distribution block to go to all your amps, if so then check the wire from the block to your amp, it should be at least 4 gauge. Also check the ground wire is tightened properly on both ends.

If you have had the gear installed recently then go speak to the installer.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep completely agree with acarmody here, i wont go into my old system but i rarely had any problems with it....granted i did have Optimas in the end but at the start i was using a stock battery and always used my stock alternator.

So theres no sound coming from the sub at all now?

Put a multimeter set to ohms on the amp's speaker terminals to check the impedance - something may have happened to the speaker wire at the sub or in the box.
Put a multimeter set to volts DC on the amp's power terminals to check the voltage. With the system off write down / take note of the voltage. Turn the engine and system on and re-check the voltage, should be sitting around 13.5-14.4v.
Check any fuses in the main power cable, could be loose and have a poor connection.
Check the amp's earth terminal, should be bolted tightly to a solid metal part of the car.

If you're not capable of carrying out these tests, take it back to the place you got it installed or if thats not possible take it to your local car audio shop.

Jimmy SV6

Colours Wow, Now It Glows
Reaction score
Members Ride
[Black] 05 VZ SV6 [Auto]
i was driving home yesterday i could hear a lil bit of bass, but it was just soo faint and it could hardly punch anything.... so it might be just the gain or something i will have to have a look see when i get the chance.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You paid good money for the equipment and install... Take it back and tell the store what's going wrong.