Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bathurst - The final year Holden at the great race

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I only watched parts of the race due as much to the commentators. They were a bit over the top.

One thing that did stick out was the lack of Fords. I don't know how many started the race but when I was looking there were only 6 on a page of about 25-30 cars.

I don't think that Bathurst will have the excitement of foregone years and that the introduction of the Camaro isn't going to help. If they want to keep Bathurt alive they are going to come up with a different formula. It was nice to see a Holden win the race but having them there was a bit pointless due to Holdens no longer being made.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Safety is fine if they follow typically rules and regs as the Toyota 86 series, basically standard cars with brakes and a full cage and fire system
Unfortunately a stock Commodore (like the ZB) just isn't going to cut it for a top tier racing series. Hell, even a stock 5.0 mustang or equivalent Camaro wouldn't be that great so then you start fitting better brakes and more powerful engines and at those speeds suddenly a stock engine pan with a roll cage just isn't that great, the whole reason they went to tubular chassis in the first place.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Unfortunately a stock Commodore (like the ZB) just isn't going to cut it for a top tier racing series. Hell, even a stock 5.0 mustang or equivalent Camaro wouldn't be that great so then you start fitting better brakes and more powerful engines and at those speeds suddenly a stock engine pan with a roll cage just isn't that great, the whole reason they went to tubular chassis in the first place.
Yeah but your not really increasing the power that much, some headers and a tune don't really do alot, and once you weld in an approved cage the chassis is solid

You don't need to do 300kph down the straight for good motorsport

The point is to get production cars that people can relate to and buy, I believe in the "win on Sunday sell on Monday" mantra

Honda boys want to see Honda's racing, Hyundai boys, Ford boys, Mazda boys, Subaru boys, Toyota boys, VAG boys, there all the same............they all want their brand of car in the driveway to win

This is also how production cars improve, the competition makes manufacturers work for it, to make a better base for a race car, they need to improve the production car

Meh, I would rather watch these 350hp cars than a 2 car NASCAR type series, and do would most people born after 1990

Imagine if they had the support and publicity that the Supertaxis have, I would gladly say goodbye to the NASCAR supertaxis and hello to real world, average joe, racing

Old dinosaurs need not apply

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
meanwhile in Aus... win on sunday sell.... ooh wait, order in on monday after arguing about available colors, wait 4 months to get in from overseas, eventually drive on a monday

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
meanwhile in Aus... win on sunday sell.... ooh wait, order in on monday after arguing about available colors, wait 4 months to get in from overseas, eventually drive on a monday
Mate that is world wide, shipping at the moment is the rubbish

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
The point is to get production cars that people can relate to and buy, I believe in the "win on Sunday sell on Monday" mantra

Honda boys want to see Honda's racing, Hyundai boys, Ford boys, Mazda boys, Subaru boys, Toyota boys, VAG boys, there all the same............they all want their brand of car in the driveway to win

This is also how production cars improve, the competition makes manufacturers work for it, to make a better base for a race car, they need to improve the production car
Sounds a lot like how it all began. Appendix J Group 1 Series Production or Group E as we knew it back in the 60's and early 70's.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Holden hasn't raced there for years.

I'm really looking forward to Gen 3, while it's never going to the the same as manufacturer based racing it's probably as close as we are ever going to get to the good ol days.

This, did this years RBR/888 cars even say Holden on them? Main sponsor was Ampol IIRC

Its why I bought a whole load of the merch last year before the name disappeared.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Mate that is world wide, shipping at the moment is the rubbish
In my job the standard lead time has now been pushed out to 5 months when it used to be 4 months. Some items are taking up to 12 months to arrive.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup. Before my company went belly up this year we were waiting over 6 months for stock to arrive, than we had a **** load arrive but not all of what we needed, than the suppliers said no more available and we walked out the door (for ever) not long after.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
This, did this years RBR/888 cars even say Holden on them? Main sponsor was Ampol IIRC

Its why I bought a whole load of the merch last year before the name disappeared.
The cars did at least sport the Holden Lion emblem on the radiator grille.
I noticed the Erebus Boost Mobile Crummydores had the erebus logo on the grille instead.