Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bathurst - The final year Holden at the great race

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Nobody is going to be fully content with any future series. All about compromises.

The new Supercars will at least look like the production cars. But can I buy a new Camaro ?
4 cyl TCR cars are a silhouette series, nearly as far removed from production cars as the V8s.
Toyota 86s are as boring as for the race spectators. Slow as, and lucky to get in 2 or 3 laps before some disaster.
S5000 open wheelers are knee capped by FIA regulations and will never be as spectacular as the old Formular 5000. (Just ignore the number of drivers killed or seriously injured by F5000 cars)
Aussie Racing Cars ? Now there is an entertaining and competitive series. But an oddity.
Limited production cars designed for the track, with a minimum number to be sold before homologation. Yes, bring back the 1972 'Super Car' bullets on wheels for the public scare tactic publicity.

Old dinosaurs need not apply

Yeah, us dinosaurs will just say "I remember when ........." and tootle off on our electric scooters.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I was even looking at getting an electric bike to possibly replace my Harley, just to test the electric conveyance waters so to speak

Just park it in one of the sheds at work for sneaky free recharges

It seems like a good idea for the first 30 seconds , then I start to question everything .....

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Aussie Racing Cars ? Now there is an entertaining and competitive series. But an oddity.
Limited production cars designed for the track, with a minimum number to be sold before homologation. Yes, bring back the 1972 'Super Car' bullets on wheels for the public scare tactic publicity.
Aussie race cars an oddity? Our Group E, Group C and Group A were all very closely based on the FIA's sporting rules that were used worldwide.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I was even looking at getting an electric bike to possibly replace my Harley, just to test the electric conveyance waters so to speak

Just park it in one of the sheds at work for sneaky free recharges

It seems like a good idea for the first 30 seconds , then I start to question everything .....
Currently, an electric motorcycle makes more sense than an electric car.
As long as it is not an electric bicycle, which is illegal in NSW.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Aussie race cars an oddity?
What other country runs something like them ? But, it was probably a Kiwi who came up with the idea in the first place.

Edit ......... Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. The little Aussie Racing Cars which are miniature Mustangs, Holdens, Falcons that run a motorcycle engine, usually 4 or 5 abreast into a corner and appear to be doing about 250kmh everywhere.
https://ams2cars.info/club-racing/arc-camaro/

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Nobody is going to be fully content with any future series. All about compromises.
While it's going to be nowhere close to what it was back in the day I'm loving the new variety.

I really don't give 2 shits whether it's holden vs ford or not (I know thats probably a bad thing to say on a Holden forum) as there hasn't been an actual Holden racing there since the 90's anyway, it's all just marketing wank now.

But what I am interested in is a pushrod 5.7L in the GM vs a quad cam modular V8 in the Mustang. Gives us some variety, each car is going to have it's own places where that driveline will shine and some where it's let down. Also a lot less downforce as it's basically a similar geometary now to the road going equivelant meaning that it's going to be a drivers race not an engineers race.

Some of the drivers that have been testing the pilot vehicles said they are absolutely terrifying when pushed to the limit in comparison to the current gen 2 cars.

I reckon it will be pretty good.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I get the nostalgia, I enjoy watching my supercars series from 30+ years ago, they seemed so fast back then. The time to grind an axe and sook is long over. Even if you took the latest and greatest production vehicles now and modded them just enough for track life it's not going to be all that exciting. It's why Supercars diverged. It's why most similar series have diverged all over the world. Regardless of where the cars come from, or how far off production spec they are, it doesn't change that this format and skillset is uniquely Australasian insanity and hella fun to watch out of all the available options

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
What other country runs something like them ? But, it was probably a Kiwi who came up with the idea in the first place.

Edit ......... Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. The little Aussie Racing Cars which are miniature Mustangs, Holdens, Falcons that run a motorcycle engine, usually 4 or 5 abreast into a corner and appear to be doing about 250kmh everywhere.
https://ams2cars.info/club-racing/arc-camaro/
Yes I thought you were talking about the glory days of production based Aussie racing cars of the 1970's & 80's.