Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Drain VS COMMODORE

pommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.6 V6 VZ S Commodore Ute
Hey there,
I have a 96 VS 3.8L Commodore, lately i have been getting power drains from the battery, this is a brand new battery and within 3 days it was flat, charged it and became flat again. I took it to the local auto electrician and he confirmed there was a drain of 0.78Volts but when he was trying to find out where it was the drain vanished. Both the alternator and starter motor have been replaced within the past 3 years. I am really confused as to what it could be. any help?
Cheers Craig.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If the drain has stopped then you don't have a problem.

pommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.6 V6 VZ S Commodore Ute
but the power is still draining, was flat again this morning.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The most common things causing power drains are: boot light, centre console light, glovebox light, internal diode failure in alternator, head unit/amplifier not turning off. Did the electrician tell you the drain was 0.78volts or 0.78amps?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sounds like you need a new auto electrician.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
He kind of has a point though. One would expect an auto elec to be able to figure it out. Saying the drain vanished while he was trying to find it sounds like an excuse to charge him big $$$ so he can supposedly track it down.

I'd start by ruling out everything on vxgts list of common things. All pretty easy to test yourself

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
First ting I would check is the charge wire on the back of the alternator if it is burnt.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Try the cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter is sometimes the problem because the intended use for them is to only be used to light l cigarettes and not be used as a phone charger. Sometimes by using it to charger devices, the actual unit causes a short. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk