Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Light with Alternator Light on VE 2018 Ute.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
In Engineering mode.....Battery showing 9.5 Volts.
In Engineering Mode......battery showing 0 Volts charging.
Put new Battery in.
In Engineering Mode......Battery Showing 12.5 Vlots
Went for a short drive.....In Engineering Mode......Battery showing 3.1 volts charging.
I assume the Alternator is charging.

Will the above all settle down when the Battery shows say 11.5 volts charging......on the dash???
Or will I have to get the codes cleared by the NRMA with there diaonostic tool????

Attachments

• IMG_0004 (1).JPG
    IMG_0004 (1).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Series 5 VE Ute 2018 model :D :D :D

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i assume you mean 2008 ve

from holden training module
charge mode 13.9 - 15.5
fuel economy mode 12.5 - 13.1
sulphation mode 13.9 - 15.5 for 2-3 minutes
headlamp mode 13.9 - 14.5
startup mode 14.5 for 30 seconds

if you disconnect battery, the bcm assumes battery is at 20% charge
after 8 hours with key off bcm will learn actual state of charge

in engineering mode battery charge is how full the battery is
so 0 is beyond dead flat,
3 is almost dead flat

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
3.1v or 13.1v charging ? a brand new battery may show full charge so it may not bump it up to full 15v charging, never noticed the charging voltage only battery voltage, any codes usually clear after some key cycles if issue is fixed

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
In Engineering mode.....Battery showing 9.5 Volts.
In Engineering Mode......battery showing 0 Volts charging.
Put new Battery in.
In Engineering Mode......Battery Showing 12.5 Vlots
Went for a short drive.....In Engineering Mode......Battery showing 3.1 volts charging.
I assume the Alternator is charging.

Will the above all settle down when the Battery shows say 11.5 volts charging......on the dash???
Or will I have to get the codes cleared by the NRMA with there diaonostic tool????
Confirmed that it was the Alternator by NRMA and my meter reading it was not charging the battery.
Genuine GMH cost $510...was not interested in after market ones as they could be made in the back streets of china and warranty could be a problem. ....at least GMH give 12 months Warranty.
Part No:- GMH 92173960....made in Japan by Mitsubishu Electric Corporation.
For all those interested and thanks for all the reply's.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The codes will remain even after the work is done if they are not cleared. After 10 or 15 (I don’t recall the exact number) start cycles the car finally accepts the fault is fixed and the codes are stored historically.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
The codes will remain even after the work is done if they are not cleared. After 10 or 15 (I don’t recall the exact number) start cycles the car finally accepts the fault is fixed and the codes are stored historically.
I was aware of that to clear all codes after the jod is done.....there is one vexing problem....in the bottom left corner in engineering mode..... there is a small symbol indicating ESP Off....I take it will reset after the codes are cleared...that is what the NRMA man said....also the traction symbol comes on to say it is off.....since the ute is starting on battery power alone....I guess there is not enough battery power to fix this traction problem at the moment .......and hopefully this will fix all these problems after the new alternator is installed....by the way I installed a new battery at the beginning of this problem...since the old one was 4 years old.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was aware of that to clear all codes after the jod is done.....there is one vexing problem....in the bottom left corner in engineering mode..... there is a small symbol indicating ESP Off....I take it will reset after the codes are cleared...that is what the NRMA man said....also the traction symbol comes on to say it is off.....since the ute is starting on battery power alone....I guess there is not enough battery power to fix this traction problem at the moment .......and hopefully this will fix all these problems after the new alternator is installed....by the way I installed a new battery at the beginning of this problem...since the old one was 4 years old.
Once available voltage is restored the ECM will activate ESP