Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Strap

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Hey all!

so i changed the battery in my VF today and could not for the life of me get the strap holding the battery in place to the point i got so fed up I cut it (yes i know stupid me) but id had enough haha

my question is the gromit on the bottom enough to hold the battery in place? Or should i get another strap?
Thanks in advanced

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Strap it as it’s dangerous and not legal strapped in properly

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not enough. Get a strap. You don’t want that moving around from a speed bump and shorting on something. That’s a world of hurt for the rest of the modules in the car. Yes there’s a fusible link but let’s not try it out.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
That's quite cheap, looks to be in good condition as well.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Hey all!

so i changed the battery in my VF today and could not for the life of me get the strap holding the battery in place to the point i got so fed up I cut it (yes i know stupid me) but id had enough haha

my question is the gromit on the bottom enough to hold the battery in place? Or should i get another strap?
Thanks in advanced

You didn’t fit the wrong battery in place by any chance? Yours is the first time I’ve heard of needing a strap cut off.

That’s the issue I have with the “bright spark” on YouTube showing how to replace the VF battery and but used the wrong battery altogether and would hope people aren’t using his videos as a guide.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You didn’t fit the wrong battery in place by any chance? Yours is the first time I’ve heard of needing a strap cut off.

That’s the issue I have with the “bright spark” on YouTube showing how to replace the VF battery and but used the wrong battery altogether and would hope people aren’t using his videos as a guide.
Yeah, am quoting this as it’s a really good suggestion, it’s very easy to get the wrong battery … for example, I once found the exact same battery for the Volvo to replace the original, dropped the original in the recycling tub, then accidentally grabbed the wrong battery off the shelf. The model-number was identical, except the last character (can’t 100% recall the details of this story but the one I needed had an S on the end which I assume was for Short or Small). Lucky the guy made double-sure at the counter, I guess he’d seen enough batteries to notice the difference. The taller one was probably about 2cm taller, would be fine for some cars & not quite work for others (such as mine as there’s an aluminium shield that would get close to one of the terminals of a taller battery) … and a difference like that could cause it to sit OK in a VF’s battery-tray without quite locking-down properly.

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Yeah, am quoting this as it’s a really good suggestion, it’s very easy to get the wrong battery … for example, I once found the exact same battery for the Volvo to replace the original, dropped the original in the recycling tub, then accidentally grabbed the wrong battery off the shelf. The model-number was identical, except the last character (can’t 100% recall the details of this story but the one I needed had an S on the end which I assume was for Short or Small). Lucky the guy made double-sure at the counter, I guess he’d seen enough batteries to notice the difference. The taller one was probably about 2cm taller, would be fine for some cars & not quite work for others (such as mine as there’s an aluminium shield that would get close to one of the terminals of a taller battery) … and a difference like that could cause it to sit OK in a VF’s battery-tray without quite locking-down properly.
Yeah i got the larger battery…but its longer rather than taller..it doesnt move around much at all but now im kinda paranoid so i bought the ebay ad above to switch it out.

i cut the strap because i couldnt get the bolt off and with little to no room to work with behind there. What do you guys you to get that bolt off? I tried shifters spanners etc and nothing worked

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Yeah i got the larger battery…but its longer rather than taller..it doesnt move around much at all but now im kinda paranoid so i bought the ebay ad above to switch it out.

i cut the strap because i couldnt get the bolt off and with little to no room to work with behind there. What do you guys you to get that bolt off? I tried shifters spanners etc and nothing worked

So each of the AC Delco batteries designed for the VF can be higher in CCA but all the dimensions are the same…

Socket with extension as stated by vywgn would be right - it’s not that tight nor difficult to get into.
You removed the carpet lining around the battery to get to it I hope? Because you definitely won’t reach everything in there without removing it.