Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battle of the sixes

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
well thru an holden mechanic i've been told the reson there no 5 speed L67 is because the trans isn't strong enough, and when he asked at trade skool "but the V8's run a 5 speed" he the got the same answer "holden dont make a 5 speed trans strong enough"

go the L67 i've been told the allytech's are no good they rattle the front off after some high km's (timing chains n that fail)

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
so i may as well keep an eye out for a nice vu ute then? hate the vy ones, i will have to look for one with low k's and well maintained. it just depends on whats available at what time. ill have a look into what i can do with an ecotec ute, and ill see if i should go that route instead of the VZ. thanks for the help guys

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Go for a VZ SV6 or S 6 speed.
They do have a considerable amount of power
& torque. Although this is software managed. As
a result they feel doughy.
If you are looking for more performance. You can
shorten the diff ratio and have the ECM re-flashed.

Never heard of timing chains failing. Although some
early examples can be noisy.

PackaMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive & 2005 VZ Sv6
$1400 bucks for a vz diff tighten up lsd and 3.46 gears thats what im getting from geelong diffenitals in vic

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
yeah ill go the vz, ill be traveling a bit in it so i want something as new as i can get excluded anything VE lol. ill get the sv6 so i can have a good poke when i need it to. the shortened diff ratio was always gonns happen anyway

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
A manual conversion with a T56 is no where near 10k like feistl says, try half that.

Should have been clearer...

$10k for upgrade including t56, clutch + installation etc... as well as Water 2 air intercooler, upgraded pully, exhaust system and tune. That will get you to the ~220rwkw as a manual. (maybe more or less depending how far you go). You are correct though, the conversion can be done for $2.5-5k depending on a few things.

Cheers