Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battle of the sixes

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
hey guys, this is my first post, and i think this was the best place to ask this, but if it isnt feel free to move it around.

ill cut to the chase. i am interested in getting a 6cyl. commodore, or the monaro. i have already thought about getting an 8, but i have decided for what i need, a six is fine. so please no get a v8 comments.

so guys i have narrowed this down abit already i am wanting to get one of these choices.

vz sv6
vx/y s with the supercharger
or maybe even a monaro.

the monaro im not that interested in as it only comes as an auto and it will be a wste of a monaro if its not a v8.

i am not interested in automatics at this stage, and i am after a bi tof performance.

so what car would go the hardest, im not afraid of small mods either, the super6 has more torque and the ecotec is a supported engine for aftermarket.

the sv6 has more power but lacks torque which has given it a bit of a downfall, also the alloytec doesnt seem to have great support at the moment, compared.

i do like that the sv6 has lsd as standard, im not sure if the super6 s pack would have one, could someone clear this up for me.

so any suggestions as to what i should do?

im after str8 line performance and a bit of fun.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
well you wont find a super 6 in manual unless its been converted as theyre all auto from factory personally go the super 6 even if tis an auto theyre the best all round six minor and cheap mods can see them surpass $6000 spent on an ecotec or alloytec.
Torque is the main advantage a super6 will have over other models

PackaMoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Executive & 2005 VZ Sv6
sv6 hav plenty of touque there down fall is the stock radtio diff gears in them they are hwy gears 2.81:1 change them to 3.46 and they are tyre eatters

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
so no manual for super6? that a big kick in the guts for me. ill have alook to see how expensive a better diff ratio would be for a sv6. why wouldnt holden bring out a manual for the super6, im sure ppl would have bought them? where would be a good place to look for this diff for the sv6?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
L67 (Factory supercharged 6) is a seriously good engine. You can increase the boost and run a water to air intercooler, and say 16psi.... should be good for bigish power (200rwkw).

You can bolt a T56 gearbox to them, but you'll need an adapter plate. You'll be spending $10k to upgrade, but it will be quick.

Honestly, (I know you asked not to), but a factory V8 with OTR/MAFless converted to liquid injection LPG will be around the same price (conversion + upgrades + initial purchase price), but give a lot more power, cost less to run and sound better.

Seriously, V6s are not worth it if your after performance. Just doing the upgraded mods mentioned above, a LS1 on LPG will give you 250rwkw+... and potentially more if required.

Even factory the L67 uses a fair amount of fuel during normal driving. My old WHII statesman got around 14L/100km... and above 20L/100km if really pushed... thats V8 territory, but much less power. If your working it, its really gonna drink...

Best of luck which ever way you go. Just do your research...

Side Note... CV6s (V6 Monaros) are dirt cheap cause no one wants a V8 Muscle car with a V6 :p. So you could get one of these cheaply....

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
well guys i have just found out my work requires me to have a ute, i cant get a ute and a sedan (plus dad wont let me at this stage), so i think the monaro and super6 are out. im happy getting a ute, ill def look into a ss ute then, but if i cant get one for any reason, sv6 ute, cos my insurance is ****ed for a recent loss of license, so a v8 or turbo may not look very attractive insurance wise.

ill look into it

thanks for the posts guys

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Just for info (even tho you said you can only get a ute now)

Monaro's don't come with a NA V6, only the Super6.

A manual conversion with a T56 is no where near 10k like feistl says, try half that.

Anyone know if the super6 was avaliable in a ute?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
so no manual for super6? that a big kick in the guts for me. ill have alook to see how expensive a better diff ratio would be for a sv6. why wouldnt holden bring out a manual for the super6, im sure ppl would have bought them? where would be a good place to look for this diff for the sv6?
Why would holden not do it? They kept chewing through whatever clutch Holden put on them! :smoking:

Just for info (even tho you said you can only get a ute now)

Monaro's don't come with a NA V6, only the Super6.

A manual conversion with a T56 is no where near 10k like feistl says, try half that.

Anyone know if the super6 was avaliable in a ute?
If your handy with mechanics, a T56 conversion will be less than $4k. If i wasn't getting a custom clutch and pressure plate as well as a cooler the conversion would set me back around $3k all up. Not that expensive. Most of the L67 guys dont go a T56 though, there's only a few out there, mostly they're the T5's that get shoved on them.

I would definatly reccomend the L67, great motor. I dislike auto's too, but i've lived with it, it's doing alright as it is, so far it's been 1 year and it's still auto. But will be changed soon. L67 produces it torque and power down low (lower RPM than the sv6 and ss).

No utes that i know of were sold factory fitted with a supercharger though :( But there are a few out there that have been converted (usually from a manual V6 with a 5 speed gearbox in it).