Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM, Parking Control Module and Trailer Control Module

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Mine came brand new in a sealed GM bag. I have also heard (not first hand) that other people have had to get them programmed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... my real question is , does the BCM or maybe the PACM need to be informed that there is a TCM connected?
Regards
Handy Andy
If it's correct to assume there was no issue with your vehicle prior to the roo's suicide, which helped reshape the front of the car, who's to say what wiring or module was damage in that impact or during the repair process itself. The fact that the parking sensors and presumably the wiring along with the PACM was replaced, presumably all on the insurance companies dime, I'd hazard a guess that the cause of your problems would be something that's occurred during the repair process. That is some plug wasn't reconnected correctly or something got zapped.

Just keep in mind that as part of the front sensor repair procedure, the repairer should disconnect the battery which is located at the rear of the vehicle.... spits and sparks can always fly if one if ham fisted...

The undeniable truth is that the vehicle should be repaired to pre accident condition. So if you didn't have problems with using trailers before the roo suicide, and now you've got issues post repair, it's your insurance companies that must resolve the incomplete repair and not for you to resolve what module needs to be programmed.

So I'd be taking it up with your insurance company as either something that should have been part of the repair process wasn't done or the repairer's carelessness resulted in some further damage to your vehicle. In either case let the insurance company sort it out as that's the beauty of their life time repair warranty :cool: And if your insurance company tries to say it's an unrelated and coincidental occurrence, I'd want written proof from your insurance assessor as to how they diagnosed the problem and came to that conclusion (given that the trailer module is somewhat independent of the rest of the vehicle's systems and isolated at the rear left quarter next to the battery where spits and sparks can pooch screw the best of the fragile electronics within a vehicle).

But to get to your specific question, given that within the Holden VF/WN Accessories Installation Manual, Electrical section, Trailer Wiring Harness Package Installation sub section, the install procedure doesn't require or contain any programming instructions so I'd say such isn't needed.

However, given that VF vehicles themselves provide a driver selectable option within the infotainment system, which is used to manually select whether the trailer tongue is installed or not, and presumably results in the parking sensor sensitivity being changed so the system doesn't incessantly beep with the tongue installed, I'd think there would be some programming configuration file that would exist within BCM and/or MyLink module so that this feature works as advertised. Such configuration programing would be part of the normal module replacement procedure...

Lastly, from memory, within my VF I have to manually set the tailer radio button within MyLink else the vehicle beeps in reverse if the tongue is installed. The trailer plug itself does not seem to have any magnetic reed switch and the VF workshop manual is vague* in showing any magnetic reed switch wiring going from the plug to the trailer control module

Really, why turn all this into your problem when it should be the insurance companies problem to resolve. As I said, they should return your vehicle to a pre accident condition where the traler lamps worked :cool: So if it worked before, it should work after :p

Talk to your insurance assessor and repairer ;)

If you want to look at the simple non programing stuff, check the following:
VF trailer wiring.JPG

Fig 1: VF Trailer wiring schematic​
* it may be that the trailer connector pin 8 (of a 7 pin plug) which is connected to pin 12 of X1 on the trailer lighting control module is indeed the read switch but it's not clear to me as the traler symbol isn't defined anywhere i can find.

trailer plug wiring.JPG

Fig 2: Trailer plug pin layout​
trailer plug reed switch.JPG

Fig 3: Trailer plug reed switch wiring

Sorry about the long post
That's most of my posts but more info is better than no info :p:p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
But to get to your specific question, given that within the Holden VF/WN Accessories Installation Manual, Electrical section, Trailer Wiring Harness Package Installation sub section, the install procedure doesn't require or contain any programming instructions so I'd say such isn't needed.
There's definitely a trailer module enable option in the BCM setup on VF2. By memory in BCM setup, there's trailer module, paddle shift, police pack that refers to instrument panel lighting and a few wheel and tyre size options. There's also something about sensors and park assist options but I can't recall exactly what that is. I think if the trailer module isn't enabled in the BCM and you plug the module in, it throws trailer light faults on the cluster or something to that effect. The trailer module maybe factory enabled in the BCM on some model variants perhaps.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
However, given that VF vehicles themselves provide a driver selectable option within the infotainment system, which is used to manually select whether the trailer tongue is installed or not, and presumably results in the parking sensor sensitivity being changed so the system doesn't incessantly beep with the tongue installed, I'd think there would be some programming configuration file that would exist within BCM and/or MyLink module so that this feature works as advertised. Such configuration programing would be part of the normal module replacement procedure...

I believe that the setting in the MyLink simply adjusts the parking sensor clearance distances. i.e. sets the length of the car to include the hitch. You should be able to see the position of the lines change in the reversing camera. I don’t think it is anything to do with the hitch interfering with the parking sensors as such.

I hazard to guess that the setting is also used for the automatic parking clearance too? I don’t know as I haven’t tried.

Connecting up a trailer should disable the rear parking sensors automatically. I do know this as I don’t have to manually disable them when towing.

:)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I believe that the setting in the MyLink simply adjusts the parking sensor clearance distances. i.e. sets the length of the car to include the hitch. You should be able to see the position of the lines change in the reversing camera. I don’t think it is anything to do with the hitch interfering with the parking sensors as such.

I hazard to guess that the setting is also used for the automatic parking clearance too? I don’t know as I haven’t tried.

Connecting up a trailer should disable the rear parking sensors automatically. I do know this as I don’t have to manually disable them when towing.

:)

Yes, as I stated there is a magnetic switch in the trailer plug. It has two wires, there's a normally open plug and a normally closed plug, depending on which one the commodore uses there could be differing outcomes.

That is how the car actually knows there's a trailer on it.
The OP obviously doesn't understand this and hasn't even been back so **** him.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's definitely a trailer module enable option in the BCM setup on VF2. By memory in BCM setup, there's trailer module, paddle shift, police pack that refers to instrument panel lighting and a few wheel and tyre size options. There's also something about sensors and park assist options but I can't recall exactly what that is. I think if the trailer module isn't enabled in the BCM and you plug the module in, it throws trailer light faults on the cluster or something to that effect. The trailer module maybe factory enabled in the BCM on some model variants perhaps.
The Holden VF WN Accessories Installation Manual does mention programing for the flippy flappy steering wheel paddle addition, specifically it says the following:

flippy flappy paddles.JPG

Sadly it says nothing for the tow bar wiring installation. That's probably what adds confusion to the process of installing tow bar wiring in some variants ...

As always, inaccurate service documents = **** customer satisfaction :rolleyes:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, as I stated there is a magnetic switch in the trailer plug. It has two wires, there's a normally open plug and a normally closed plug, depending on which one the commodore uses there could be differing outcomes.

That is how the car actually knows there's a trailer on it.
The OP obviously doesn't understand this and hasn't even been back so **** him.
It's shite documentation and business policy as Holden doesn't specify whether there is or isn't a magnetic reed switch on the tariler plug or whether said switch is normally open of normally closed... Such detail is important to know as it makes replacing the trailer plug a PITA if one doesn't know which plug type is correct..

Needing a VIN and access to a manufacturers service database just to by a trailer plug is part of what's wrong with consumer products these days and compounds the problem of self repair ... It's a fcuken part of the planned obsolescence and consumer lockin strategy we see with most things these days :mad:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
From what l've heard the new tcm comes blank & has to be programmed (hook up to gm internet)?
Goes by vin number.

Whats your thoughts on this @uglyoldfatbastard. I recall you doing this type of stuff.
Yes they come blank and have to be programmed via SPS2 just like a brand new ECU or Cluster they are blank until programmed.
OR
If you plug a second hand unit in they are already programmed so nothing to do and I don't think they are VIN locked.
When you look at a programmed unit's memory you see things like PCG0STN#74 which tells how it was programmed.

Reactions: Lex