Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front parking sensor orientation

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
I've just bought a VF calais

The parking sensors where not functioning when I bought it, it was displaying "park assist temporarily unavailable" when I put it in reverse.

I scanned the codes, 2 codes were logged, both saying that the 2 front left and front left middle had the "incorrect component installed". After removing them and comparing to the right hand side sensors, I found they had been installed in the wrong positions, after switching the positions the sensors work for about 30 seconds after clearing the codes and then a new code comes up "B096C-22", this code is not listed in the service manual. The original codes saying "incorrect component installed" are now no longer active.

It appears the front bar has been repaired at some point, and I'm assuming this was when the left hand side sensors were installed in the wrong positions.

I'm trying to work out the correct orientation of the front left sensor, as it can be installed either way, and what "B096C-22" means?

I'm about to order a new sensor. But I just want to confirm its the problem before I do, and not something silly like the orientation

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
is suggesting B096C is B096C Parking Assist side sensor left front circuit incorrect component installed - not sure about the -22 bit though...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the sensors on the system are unique and have different part numbers for different positions.
putting the wrong part in will disable the system and throw the wrong part error.

the -22 on the end will be the location identifier, in gds2 it will tell you exactly which sensor is throwing it and you will need to get the correct part for that location.
once you work out the part number for that position you can get them on aliexpress pretty cheap.

you can try and spin the sensor 180 and see if it works but you can usually tell which way from the position of the plug on the loom.
if there is any damage to the face of the sensor it will fail, the slightest dent can make them play up.

look at the part number on the 2 sensors in question and if they are identical then they can be swapped positions because the part should be identical.
if you order a new one make sure it is the right part number for that location.

this was one of mine that copped a hit and killed it

Last edited:

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
the sensors on the system are unique and have different part numbers for different positions.
putting the wrong part in will disable the system and throw the wrong part error.

the -22 on the end will be the location identifier, in gds2 it will tell you exactly which sensor is throwing it and you will need to get the correct part for that location.
once you work out the part number for that position you can get them on aliexpress pretty cheap.

you can try and spin the sensor 180 and see if it works but you can usually tell which way from the position of the plug on the loom.
if there is any damage to the face of the sensor it will fail, the slightest dent can make them play up.

look at the part number on the 2 sensors in question and if they are identical then they can be swapped positions because the part should be identical.
if you order a new one make sure it is the right part number for that location.

this was one of mine that copped a hit and killed it
I don't think the -22 is a location identifier, when the left front sensors were installed in the wrong positions I was getting "B0955-3A" & "B096C-3A". These 3A codes relate to incorrect component installed, according to the service manual.

After switching there positions the 3A code has disappeared, and the part numbers now match the opposite side of the car (front left is now same part number as front right, and front left middle is now the same part number as front right middle).

The strange thing is, when the front bar has been repaired at some point, the front left middle sensor was painted grey so it could be installed in the front left position (when I search the part number it should be a black sensor from factory, which makes sense as now goes into the black part of the bumper). And the front left sensor has had the silver paint sanded off the face of it, you can still see a little bit of silver paint around the side of the sensor (when I search this part number it is a silver coloured sensor from factory).

Its strange that a panel beater went to that much trouble to switch both the sensors, changing both of there colours.

Maybe when they have sanded the silver paint off they've damaged the front left sensor? Its strange that the -22 code is not listed in the service manual.

I've ordered a front left sensor so I'll see if that fixes it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
strange that the -22 code is not listed in the service manual.

The -xx after a code is basically additional information to the main code so it could be things like location or high/low states etc.
Software like gds2 has the ability to decipher it.

With the sensors being the wrong colors they might be from a different vehicle, not all vfs have the black part in the front but have the same sensor array.

You would think that a body repair shop would know about these sensor arrays by now because most vehicles have them and they are all the same setup with parts being specific to the location on the vehicle.