Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM, Parking Control Module and Trailer Control Module

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Commodore
I have a 2014 VF SV6, last September my wife had an argument with a kangaroo that resulted in about $8k in damages. Most of the damage was on the front right hand headlight area.
We finally got the car back in mid January. The job the smash repair place did on the car was excellent, it looked fantastic when we picked it up. They did have problems with the front parking sensors, the end result was they had to replace all 4 sensors as per the VIN. The car was taken to the local Holden dealer as it was found that the Parking Assist Control Module had failed, a new PACM was installed and reset using their computer. The other day I when I was hooking a trailer to the car I found that none of the trailer lights worked, in fact the car didn't even recognise that the plug was connected. A couple of phone calls and visits later I was informed that the BCM and PACM do not need to be told that there is a Trailer Control Module (TCM) installed. The car is fitted with a HD towbar and I normally drive around with the tow extension removed, But I noticed that with the extension now installed the rear sensors go off when in reverse, I have gone into the Config on the radio and set it that there is a towbar fitted but it hasn't made any difference.
Initially I had a look around the battery area as years ago I had installed the TCM and a Redarc Brake Controller near the battery. I was surprised to find the main power wire for the Brake Controller had been disconnected from the circuit breaker and thought maybe this was the problem. Unfortunately after re-connecting it the problem wasn't solved.
Sorry about the long post but my real question is , does the BCM or maybe the PACM need to be informed that there is a TCM connected?
Regards
Handy Andy

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Whether it does or doesnt you will get varying answers.
However, the dealer tool has the option to programme the BCM with the trailer module.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
I can only tell you that all I had to do when fitting a second hand genuine trailer loom to my VF1 Calais was plug it in, and it worked straight up.
I'd be checking connectors and fuses.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The way the car picks up that there is a trailer is via a magnetic reed type switch in the trailer plug.
You can tell them as they have a bulge on the plug, this is the mag switch.
Some are normally open and some are normally closed, it depends on the towbar module and make and model of car.

Probably best to get an auto electrician to check over all the wiring.

Lots of people stuff up brake controller installs by fitting undersized wire, having too small, missing or bad earth's.
Also some people fuse them when they're meant to have a circuit breaker, ect ect.

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
+1 on all the above, which isn’t much help.

My experience was installed the tcm and it worked straight away on a vf1 Calais. Others needed dealer programming, so there’s no definitive answer. Then later I had earthing issues which caused an intermittent fault.

given it was working before repairer/dealer stuffed around in that panel, leaving the brake controller disconnected and likely unsafe, I would be firing a rocket straight up them to make it work again, no?

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
However, the dealer tool has the option to programme the BCM with the trailer module.
Yes, there's a trailer module option in the BCM programming setup. It's in there with the paddle shift enable for VF2. I've only ever removed trailer modules and that doesn't create a fault code.

I hit a kangaroo road testing a customer's XR6 Falcon in 2017 and the repair was $7,300 and 8k doesn't surprise me.

IMG_20171216_221229804_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lex

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I installed a genuine TCM myself VF1 SSV ute, and it was plug and play. No programming was needed.
I contacted a stealer at the time and they said it was needed and I had to leave it for a day and I think they wanted about $100!!?!?
Stealers huh . . . .

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I installed a genuine TCM myself VF1 SSV ute, and it was plug and play. No programming was needed.
I contacted a stealer at the time and they said it was needed and I had to leave it for a day and I think they wanted about $100!!?!?
Stealers huh . . . .
Was this tcm new or used?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
It was new but I didn't buy it from the dealer. Maybe that's it!!
From what l've heard the new tcm comes blank & has to be programmed (hook up to gm internet)?
Goes by vin number.

Whats your thoughts on this @uglyoldfatbastard. I recall you doing this type of stuff.