Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Be Honest

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
throttle body, maifold, heads valves and cam all fairly pricey though after what you already have planned. sounds like your on the right path though. keep me posted on how you go and what you decide to do!

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Hows your suspention? what sorta tyres you got? best bet would be to do brakes, maybe some police pads, or bedix ultra's front and rear. some good tyres, not cheapies. this is gonna help keep your cr on the road and not wrapped round a tree. probly a good start.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
hey thanks for your advice guys.
POVRTY nice to see you back man.
thanks azkwazere, your right i just want them to answer my question, but then again, they are just trying to help me.
minux i agree, if you want real power then buy an 8, but at this stage i don't want that kind of power yet, plus if i was to get an 8 i would want a 5.7, so then all it takes is for the cops to pop my bonnet and im off the road, at least this way its easier to get away with it if a cop was to pull me over, and look under my hood.
I think i have come to a conclusion
extractors
2.5" exhaust
K&N POD filter
throttle body
cam
re-map the memcal.

this should get me pretty close, then mabey 2 years time, if i still have it, throw on a supercharger.

if i was going to do the heads, wouldn't be worth my while to work it from top to bottom while its apart?. cheers guys

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Not really... pulling the heads off is a much smaller job than pulling apart the whole engine. You dont need to pull the motor out to work on the heads but you do need to pull it out to rebuild it.

Its a good thing to do but initial gain is quite small while cost is quite high, i.e. over a thousand dollars, sometimes two thousand, just for a forged crank. It'll allow you to push the thing up to many hundreds of kilowatts in the long run, but in the short term there is little to no benefit.

You need to ask yourself what you want from the car.. do you want a streeter with a bit of poke or do you want a horsepower hero? If you arent sure, then it would be best to leave the rebuild for now.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I'd say you'll need a fairly lumpy cam to make 200 KW at the crank from a N/A engine. You should also modifying the heads to breathe rather than leaving them stock. At least enlarge the exhaust ports to the size of the extractors and port match the intake runners.

This is where it gets expensive to mod an N/A motor to the power you want. You could buy a second hand S/C 6 for $3000 and put a 10 PSI pulley on it for $170 and rockers for $650 and be making 220 KW at the crank.

Last edited:

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
cheers guys.
i don't think ill be ripping the heads off quite yet, if in 6 months i find that i want more power out of her, i will get dad to do as much as he can (his a mechanic) then send it off. but for now i think i will be doing the above listed mods and mabey in 2008 supercharging it
ince again thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
johnny

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I can vouch for the ol' L67 :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

http://www.v6supercharged.com.au see F.I.T.'s web site to find out the potential of these motors. Check out some of the videos... mad crazy acceleration yay