Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beef up my ve ss exhaust sound

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
you have 4 choices, either a 2 1/2 in catback from NAAF (if you go the whole catback system $1200 and it is a good sounding system)

Or the 3" for $1595.

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey guys,

I just bought a 08 SS with stage 5 cam, HSV headers, twin 3 inch exhaust with no cats, rear mufflers and I think a centre muffler. Sounds great at idle but it drones a lot plus I want it to sound meaner and more old school V8. It also has 500hp+ roller rockers, OTR CAI, stall converter and has motor/gearbox tune @ 387rwkws. (All work done at Walkenshaw in Newcastle)

I want to put 200 hi flow cats to keep the cops at bay and I was told to remove the rear mufflers and install straight pipes or J pipes. Should I remove the centre muffler as Well?

Is this the way to go? Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

PS it backfires in between gear changes when flat foot.

Last edited:

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Hey guys,

I just bought a 08 SS with stage 5 cam, HSV headers, twin 3 inch exhaust with no cats, rear mufflers and I think a centre muffler. Sounds great at idle but it drones a lot plus I want it to sound meaner and more old school V8. It also has 500hp+ roller rockers, OTR CAI, stall converter and has motor/gearbox tune @ 387rwkws. (All work done at Walkenshaw in Newcastle)

I want to put 200 hi flow cats to keep the cops at bay and I was told to remove the rear mufflers and install straight pipes or J pipes. Should I remove the centre muffler as Well?

Is this the way to go? Any other recommendations will be appreciated.

PS it backfires in between gear changes when flat foot.
the more mufflers you remove the louder and dronier it will get, straight pipes and j pipes are a bad option, a good catback will remove drone, id talk to forum member naaf and get a good aussie built cat back or look into a difilippo catback (if you have $1800) which will help with drone, 200cell cats will definitely help thou!

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Sounds good, I have actually been looking on Ebay for the Xforce Varex, got some good deals on there!!!
id suggest looking on club ve facebook group for a second hand system, changing the rear mufflers wont do much and wont sound that good, id suggest a full hurricane exhaust (made in sydney) or a manta catback as naaf said above, then id look into either some second hand hsv headers if you only want to spend $300 on those or look on gumtree or facebook for those too!
i found a secondhand walkinshaw (difilippo) catback on facebook for $700 (rrp $2200) so id suggest to start there!

Calaiswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE calais
For a cheap price, just pick up a Xforce 2.5inch system for about $600 ish, I got mine for $350 second hand off ebay (500kms old), big difference in sound but its not obnoxious.

Hey mate shop it doesn't sound too out there or droney?