Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Belt slipp at high revs ls1

vs2DSIRE

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz ss
As stated my vz ss is suffering from belt slip at high revs between first and second gear , after having some work done to the transmission . I have gone threw many threads and post put cant seem to find a queer apart from some belt grip . I'm hoping some one can shed some light for this issue . All belts have been changed and pulleys in good form . I think I read some where that it might be an issue to do with the pulleys not lining up one hundred percent ? .

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Grab some sandpaper and roughen up the flat tensioner pulleys. Sometimes helps get rid of belt squeal.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
New belt? There's no load at the smooth idlers so it won't be slipping there.

SHT 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
I had same problem but i changed all belts and pulleys, no more squeal. Mind you my a/c belt was cracked to ****

vs2DSIRE

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz ss
I have got new belts and changed the top idler tension pulley . . Do I have to change all of the pulleys maybe. Also this only happens at high rpm day about 5500 and it churps the belt for like half a second

Last edited:

vs2DSIRE

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz ss
Apparently has something to do with the motor revving very high and than changing gears the water pump continues to spin at that some rate in first gear when it's in second for a very sort second causing a chirp in the belt ???

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
What do you mean there's no load?

The smooth pulleys are idlers. They don't drive anything, so there's no rotational load on them. (except for the bearing friction which is negligible). On the ribbed pulleys you are running an alternator, ps pump etc.

Apparently has something to do with the motor revving very high and than changing gears the water pump continues to spin at that some rate in first gear when it's in second for a very sort second causing a chirp in the belt ???

If this were the case your tensioner is stuffed because the rotational inertia of the waterpump should be easily altered in speed by the belt with the amount of tension there is

vs2DSIRE

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz ss
Ok thanks mate .tensioner looks fine .i think .... Pretty sure there's and indicated for the tensioner How can I tell if it is stuffed cheers