Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Aftermarket Exhaust system ?

Daz750

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series SV6
Head in to an exhaust centre or performance centre a chat with the younger guys in there. They seem to cover the noise or go hard, whatever suits you...

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I've got a mate who has a VE SSV ute who has a full KPM exhaust and he doesn't have any issues with the AFM. In saying that, he's getting a cam installed soon and getting the AFM disconnected.

My car has had the AFM gear all remove (pretty expensive) and has no issues at all. On this note, who has a cam and what fuel economy :)rofl2:) are you experiencing? Mine went straight to 35l/100km!!

Back on topic... I have a full VCM Performance system and it sounds great.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Lots of systems sound good and it is purely a matter of preference. It looks like you have a VE SS, so the big challenge is to find a system that doesn't drone on the V8s - specially the auto's. This is the case whether you go loud or not so loud.

Any aftermarket system that consists of only simple "straight through" mufflers will drone because of the frequency set up by the length of exhaust.

I have had an xForce 2 1/2" catback system (standard manifold and cats) which sounds OK but drones at around 1800rpm. I changed the rear mufflers as a temporary measure and removed all drone apart from a bit at about 1200rpm (mine is auto but you would probably never let the revs go that low in a manual). I believe the 3" xForce systems drone very badly because of the rear muffler inlet being bigger than the outlet.

I have heard that just about the best in relation to drone are the new design of HM/Perry cat back systems in either 3" or 2 1/2". Apparently it is engineered to change the sound frequency of the standard length exhaust. Note that the standard factory 2 1/4" system also does this in a couple of ways (rear muffler design and the "hot dog" centre mufflers design).

The Pacemaker website also makes a big thing about being "drone free", so would be worth a look, as would the newer Hurricane systems which I have heard people comment positively about.

About to get one of the systems I have listed above (HM/Perry, Pacemaker or Hurricane). Hurricane is cheapest by a fair amount but still not sure.

Good luck!

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have a full X-Force system and don't have any issues, 4 to 1 headers 1 3/4", high flow metal cats and a twin 3" cat back, I don't have any of the issues that are said, but I do like the sound of a V8, if I can't hear it inside the cab, then it is not loud enough. I can't fault the x-force system I have anyway.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do the Manta twin 2 1/2" cat back, quad stainless tips, sounds nice and goes well. $1175.

Braoer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS 07
Dazzak , is it loud from the out side ? kinda don't care about the drone .

and what about the performance

AFM

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V & CAPRICE V8's
So You Don't Have A Family To Consider When They Ride W/ ??

Kye

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SV6
Kinda dont care about the drone?? Trust me it's only a matter of time before that changes!

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
ahhh yes ... I thought the same when I bought my full 3" inch system ... only 3 months before I replaced my back mufflers with Varex. See my thread with the you tube posting if you want to hear the difference it makes.

Now I'm happy!

All I need now is a remote for the wife and kids to stop the droaning when I want and I'll be REALLY happy!!!!