Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best engine coolant for my VN? red or green

joeyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
hi guys broke down recently and my coolant is serverly diluted (10% collant, 90% water sort of thing), is this bad? i just wanted to check because im going to change it up, which is better red or green and any suggestions for a particular brand?

thanks
joeyd

Jarmizz

Broom broom
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Holden Commdore VN.
I can recommend that you check with your local automotive outlet store and see what they have on their computer system. Some new stuff is long lasting but is quite expensive however maybe the cheaper stuff will be fine for your older model car?

I have also run my coolant at 50/50 and I have never had a problem but this mixture would depend on your local climate?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I have used the Tectaloy premixed stuff and my car runs well on it. Supposed to use the concentrate stuff according to people but I have yet to had one problem with it and have been using it for months.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The thing to remember with using the cheaper coolants is that they arent going to cause problems short term,its over time that good quality coolants stand out.Good quality coolant will stop corrosion and electrolysis. Electrolysis is when the aluminium from the radiator (or from any alloy cooling system parts for that matter) is eaten away by the coolant and deposited onto the engine block by way of the electrolysis process (happens mostly when plain water or diluted or old coolant is used over time)Welch plugs are also one of the first things to go usually....Cheaper quality coolants are probably closer to the dearer coolants when it comes to their anti freeze-anti boil properties, if they are mixed at the correct ratios.Its mainly the corrosion side of things though where they fall behind..A lot of people dont mix coolant to the correct ratio to top up the radiator.A lot of people just add a bit of water thinking that bit of water wont make much difference.But it does.To keep the coolant at the correct ratio,always top up with the proper mix of coolant and water.I carry a 5 litre old coolant bottle with the coolant in it mixed ready to go when I need to top it up,which is hardly ever anyway.

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
V6's need to use green coolant. The coolant I have been using for years is the Nulon Long Life concentrate and it must be mixed 50/50 or as close to it as you can get. The 50/50 as well as being required for anti corrosion reasons is needed because the coolant will boil around the valves if the concentration is too low.
You should fully flush your cooling system incl. the heater core with clean water, drain out at least 5 litres and add 5 litres of concentrate then top it up with clean water as a Buick engine has a cooling system capacity of 10 litres.
The Nulon Long life coolant is the same type used in export cars and is superior to the genuine stuff and in my view the other brands available as evidenced by it's service life. You also don't need to use the pellets from Holden with this coolant unless you notice small leaks.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
What are the pellets?

i believe you can buy them from holden and they are supposed to protect your water pump? maybe someone can better explain and correct me if im wrong?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
i believe you can buy them from holden and they are supposed to protect your water pump? maybe someone can better explain and correct me if im wrong?

As I understand it they protect the water pump by countering some adverse effects of the genuine type of coolant and also help seal up very small leaks in gaskets. If your overflow bottle has some brownish crud in it then that's from the pellets I think. The Nulon Long Life coolant is a differnt composition and does not need the pellets unless small leaks develop this is all from the Nulon web site.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
V6's need to use green coolant. The coolant I have been using for years is the Nulon Long Life concentrate and it must be mixed 50/50 or as close to it as you can get. The 50/50 as well as being required for anti corrosion reasons is needed because the coolant will boil around the valves if the concentration is too low.
You should fully flush your cooling system incl. the heater core with clean water, drain out at least 5 litres and add 5 litres of concentrate then top it up with clean water as a Buick engine has a cooling system capacity of 10 litres.
The Nulon Long life coolant is the same type used in export cars and is superior to the genuine stuff and in my view the other brands available as evidenced by it's service life. You also don't need to use the pellets from Holden with this coolant unless you notice small leaks.

Do all v6's need the green coolant or is it just commodores that you know of?