Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best engine coolant for my VN? red or green

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
I have never heard of them . Well there you go that explains the brown residue on the overflow of a VN I once owned ty

DavoVP

Reaction score
Im just useing the $10 for 5l green stuff from super cheap ( premix ) seems ok. Hasent hurt it so far.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Electrolysis is not that fast a process. If you don't want the motor to corrode or potentially overheat you need to use the correct coolant at the correct concentration. Your still going to spend $20on the cheap pre mixed stuff when you can go and buy 5 litres of the correct Nulon concentrate from Super Cheap for a little over $30.00
If you have ithe car long enough to corrode the welch plugs and or water puimp it's going to cost a lot more then $10 to fix it.
Anyway I'm not just the only one giving this advice in the end it's your car and you can put whatever you want to in it.

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
Im just useing the $10 for 5l green stuff from super cheap ( premix ) seems ok. Hasent hurt it so far.

same here, Ive had no issues with it either.

RFBOOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ GTS Monaro, VN BT1
Has anyone else experienced this odd problem that I have now twice, where I have put in some decent coolant, and pretty much instantly my water pump gasket started to leak when previously didnt have a problem.

Has happened to my drift taxi when I put mercedez benz expensive coolant in, leaked badly, dropped the coolant, put plain water in and it stopped leaking.
And now to my daily, did a radiator swap, put in some Tectaloy Gold concentrate, mixed it up, and then 2nd drive the water pump now leaks.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yes, quite common to find leaks after putting fresh coolant in, changes the water tension so it can get past bad seals easier than straight water or diluted coolant

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I think there is a court case going on in the States with the Orange stuff that used to be on the market.

...a good tip you don't hear much these days is to run the heater full bore every couple of weeks during summer,stops the gunk building up in the heater core.

Edit...found it,i think there are still others still going on.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/mar/27/business/fi-gm27

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
general rule is to use whatever coolant was in it to start with, mixing different ones is bad and you'd have to flush and clean the system very thoroughly before changing types.......way to time consuming for little to no gain.

although that article has made me think, how many VT/VX/VY owners could start a law suit against gmh for the shoddy intake manifold gaskets that are used and fail..... oh wait it's australia, we don't really care, we take it as it comes and don't start law suits over minor trivial ****.

RFBOOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ GTS Monaro, VN BT1
Yes, quite common to find leaks after putting fresh coolant in, changes the water tension so it can get past bad seals easier than straight water or diluted coolant

Seems to be the case this time again for me too. Investigating my latest leak from new coolant, its the water pump seal for the shaft that is leaking, not the gasket. New water pump time.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It's caught me a few times.... install engine, fill with water to test for leaks, get to operating temp or pressure test... no leaks, drain and add coolant..... green stuff coming out in multiple places (like some insects walk on water, if you added some coolant they'd fall straight in.... if they survived long enough to do so lol. I haven't tried this, it's all just theory).